What are you canning now?

Quote:
O.k. the coop isn't finished because here in southern Va. we are having pop-up storms and the finishing of the coop has been delayed for now for safety (mainly) since with these storms come pretty good winds. Um, but my buddy and I did can the Zuchinni Relisha nd it is
droolin.gif
delish
droolin.gif
anyways we are wanting to make Banana Preserves and we need a recipe.....a great tasting one. So, if you have one can you please post it, preferably one that you have tried and liked.

Thanks and oh, next week we are going to be making more relish, zuchinni and squash relish.....YUMMY!!!!!

I started making this one a couple years ago. I sell A LOT of it and have repeat buyers. It's great as a jam or an ice cream topping.

Banana Jam

4 cups bananas, mashed
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 box Fruit Pectin
1/2 tsp. butter or margarine
6 cups sugar, measured into separate bowl

Put bananas in a saucepot. Stir in lemon and pectin. Add butter, if desired. Bring to a full rolling boil.

Frogdogtimestwo - those are beautiful in the jar.

Stir in all sugar. Return to full rolling boil and boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off any foam with metal spoon.
Cover with two-piece lids. Process 10 minutes in WB canner.

So is there actually enough liquid to bring this to a boil? I am having trouble visualizing it. Sounds like it would be great for the jam on a peanut butter sandwich!

Dragonfly Ranch...I am with you--I just now got my zucchini IN! My tomatoes do have some really tiny ones starting though...I cant wait! Terri O in WI

Ok - got back from strawberry picking with about 30 lbs. Of course the chickens were right there to greet me and they thought the berries were very tasty.
roll.png

Now to get busy canning and baking!
big_smile.png

MissPrissy: It's been so long, can you give me a 2 sentence refresher on a strawberry syrup? Thanks!

31358_strawberries_june_17_2010_001.jpg

Quote:
I started making this one a couple years ago. I sell A LOT of it and have repeat buyers. It's great as a jam or an ice cream topping.

Banana Jam

4 cups bananas, mashed
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 box Fruit Pectin
1/2 tsp. butter or margarine
6 cups sugar, measured into separate bowl

Put bananas in a saucepot. Stir in lemon and pectin. Add butter, if desired. Bring to a full rolling boil.

Frogdogtimestwo - those are beautiful in the jar.

Stir in all sugar. Return to full rolling boil and boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off any foam with metal spoon.
Cover with two-piece lids. Process 10 minutes in WB canner.

So is there actually enough liquid to bring this to a boil? I am having trouble visualizing it. Sounds like it would be great for the jam on a peanut butter sandwich!

Dragonfly Ranch...I am with you--I just now got my zucchini IN! My tomatoes do have some really tiny ones starting though...I cant wait! Terri O in WI

Yes, it will come to a boil. Once you start heating the mashed bananas, it'll get a bit more liquid. The lemon juice helps.

I have 3 red Plum trees in my front yard, picked some yesterday and some today. Did up a bunch of Plum Jam and Plum Jelly today. Last year was the first time I tried canning and I was hooked right away. I need to get my blackberry juice out of the freezer and do up some blackberry jelly and syrup!

2832_plumjam2010june-001.jpg

Michelle

Beautiful jars PlumTuckered, I have been watching for plums but have not found any locally. Canning is very addictive, I drool over the posts for so long and then I get busy in the kitchen putting up jars for gifts and eating.

Thank you Frogdogtimestwo! I'm quite happy with them. Looks like I'll have another batch of plums ready to pick tomorrow.
I find myself constantly going through this thread and jotting down recipes, haven't tried any of them yet though except for the Peach Honey...wow that stuff is goooooooooood!

Michelle

Has anyone ever made Kiwi Jam?

I have been wanting to try this recipe, I am curious if anyone else has taken the plunge?

Kiwi Jam
recipezaar #11522
Ingredients

* 3 cups chopped peeled kiwi
* 1 package dry pectin
* 1 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
* 4 cups sugar

Directions

1.Combine kiwi, pectin and pineapple juice in a large saucepan.
2.Bring to a boil stirring constantly.
3.Add sugar, stirring until disolved.
4.Return to a rolling boil.
5.Boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
6.Remove from heat-skim off foam.
7.Ladle into clean hot jars leaving 1/4 inch head space.
8.Process 10 minutes in a boiling water bath at altitudes up to 1000 feet.

Back
Top Bottom