What are you canning now?

Finished up the last of the strawberry jam and a bunch of syrup. I decided to freeze some of the syrup too. I'm making waffles tomorrow morning and can't wait to pour on fresh strawberry syrup!
droolin.gif

Hello
smile.png

I've put up 4-1/2 pints of mango chutney and 4- 1/2 pints cherry jam. I am also new to canning this year, and am having a blast with it!

I had a question...does anyone know of the dish "duck in a can"? It's a french dish and from what I understand its duck breast, cabbage, balsamic vinegar, duck liver, among other things? (maybe wine) I was just wondering if anyone was ever able to "jar" this like they do chicken. I guess resturants place this all in this can and it boils for about 30 minutes to cook it, then is opened at the table and poured onto a bruschetta and pile of potatoes. I just think it sounds delish, AND if you can jar it like you can chicken, talk about a simple meal on those tough days!

Heres a video of a guy at home making it on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=KvY8y1lUQT0&feature=related

If not able to be canned safetly, I was planning on making it regardless and just freezing a few of them. Looks so tastey! I know a lot of BYC people raise ducks for meat...so I thought I would share, even if you can't can it!
smile.png

Sounds like a really interesting dish, If you find the actual recipe you use you will have to post. I am not sure I could convince my family to eat foie gras
ep.gif
especially if I told them what is was. I wonder if the whole dish could be made of goose rather than duck breast?

I did find this reciepe late last night after posting that last post:

Ingredients
4 ounces foie gras, a slice thick
Salt, pepper
1 / 2 duck
1 / 4 cup balsamic * meat glaze (optional)
3 / 4 cup Buttered Cabbage **
A roasted garlic bulb cut the top of a head of garlic. Brush with olive oil, wrap in aluminum foil and bake at 180 ° C (350 ° F) until tender.
2 sprigs fresh thyme
Meat glaze balsamic
1 onion
1 / 4 c. teaspoon sugar
1 / 2 cup ice meat trade (optional)
1 / 4 cup balsamic vinegar
Buttered cabbage:
4 c. tablespoons butter
1 onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
3 sprigs fresh thyme
3.2 ounces bacon (bacon)
1 Savoy cabbage, sliced
1 / 2 cup white wine
Mashed Celeriac:
1 celeriac
butter
walnut oil
Salt, pepper
1 slice of toast
Preparations
Salt and pepper 1 thick slice of foie gras.
In a frying pan very hot, sear the steak on the two sides for good color. Cool immediately.

Remove the duck breast fillet and reserve for another use *. Remove the skin and part of the duck fat.
Season, add the liver fat between the flesh and skin.

* Meat glaze balsamic
In a skillet, caramelize the onion with a little sugar, add the meat glaze and balsamic vinegar. Cook until the mixture is spooning.

** Buttered cabbage:
In a large skillet, sweat the butter and duck fat, if desired, onion, carrot, thyme and bacon.
Add cabbage, cook gently 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Deglaze with the wine, reduce to nothing, adjust seasoning and set aside.

Mashed Celeriac:
In a saucepan of boiling salted water, poach the celeriac until tender. Drain, pat dry and puree in food processor. For a fine puree, strain.
When warm, fit and cream, if desired, with walnut oil. Season to taste.

Assembly:
In a canning jar of about 500 ml, have to floor:
Ice meat balsamic, then stuffed duck, thyme, Buttered Cabbage and finally squeeze the roasted garlic.
Close the jar. Refrigerate 1 hour or prepare the night before.

Line the bottom of a saucepan with a cloth to protect the jar.
Bring enough water to boil to cover the jar.
Poach the jar 20 to 25 minutes

Serving:
Spread the crust of mashed celeriac and spill the contents of the can over mashed potatoes.

I'm confused a bit, because it appears that you remove the breast and shove the rest of the duck in a can. I can NOT see a whole duck fitting in a jar. If I was making it, I would take the two breasts (or maybe just one) I think this would freeze wonderfully. Meal in a jar, and it's served at high quality resturants!

Just figured it sounded yummy! I'm sure it could be used for a variety of "game" birds! Goose, duck, pheasant, etc. I think chicken would even be good!
smile.png

OK we bought a yellow watermelon for a birthday party yesterday, the kids barely touched it because... it was yellow!
hmm.png
The parents were killing it though! LOL

Anyways, had a lot left over so going to make yellow watermelon jelly today. My daughter LOVES watermelon jelly, it was her FAVORITE last year on everything.

Another question for the rose petal jelly though, I put my tea I had seeping all night into the freezer today to get to later. What I am worries about now is the 'sweet' takes over the very light floral taste and scent. It happened last time I made it, so I added honey to help give more flavor. So I bought no sugar needed pectin. I can still add some sugar... but how little should I use? I want it sweet... just not sickly sweet!?

Quote:
Miss Prissy,
I feel the same way.... I don't think people realize how much work is in that little jar you just gave them for Christmas. I gave and gave for the past few years and have now come to realize that there is very few people that do appreciate it. Even my family that I give it to don't appreciate it ( or that's the impression I get) so I have decided that I will not be giving it as gifts anymore except to the very select few that I feel does appreciate it. Wish all of my neighbors were like the folks on byc.

Cinnamon Basil Jelly
I was trying to come up with a plan for the cinnamon basil we planted and came across this recipe, its beautiful light pink and a very light and refreshing flavor.
SUPER easy, I did change it up a bit, less sugar, more basil than required and I never add food color.
Basic Basil Jelly
recipezaar 321452
Ingredients

* 1 cup packed fresh basil leaf, I used cinnamon, lemon or other flavors would be nice too.
* 1 cup white vinegar
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* 2 cups water
* 6 cups sugar

* 2 (3 ounce) envelopes certo liquid pectin

Directions

Place the basil leaves, lemon juice and vinegar in an 8-10 quart sauce pot. Let the basil, lemon juice and vinegar. (I Let stand for 30 minutes at this point to make sure the flavor was infused) while you are measuring the water and sugar.
Add the water and heat almost to a boil, stirring to blend, then add sugar all at once. Stir to dissolve sugar. Bring to a hard boil.
Add both pouches of Certo, stir to mix and return to a hard boil. Boil for 1 minute or until jelly point is reached.
Remove from heat.
Remove basil leaves with a slotted spoon.
Pour immediately into hot sterilized 1/2 pint jars.
Seal and process for 10 minutes in boiling water bath for altitudes under 1000.
10773_100_4229.jpg

ENJOY!

The coop is finished!!!!! YAH!!!!!!!!

I ended up making the Banana Preserves/Jam whatever you want to call it and it is......oh, my!!!! D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S........... I have 7 jars set aside just for gift giving but we are going to make more. The reason I made this is because when I stopped by the store the other day the bananas were only 25 cents a pound.....wow!!!! Gotta make more
smile.png
droolin.gif

Kim_NC----- Thats the same recipe I found to use. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom