What are you canning now?

Busy weekend - managed to get 25 1/2 pints of Mulberry Jelly. I was proud of myself and made two batches at a time in separate pots - made things go a lot faster. Also, my wonderful husband helped with wiping the rims and putting lids/bands on. Did the water bath in our new 23 quart pressure canner on propane stove outside and got them all done at once.

But I still have 3 gallons of juice left and that was after selling a gallon of juice to my co-worker. Think I'll have to put it in the freezer and mix with Boysenberry. Did that last year and it was divine!

Sandee

Quote:
Thank you so much for recipe link. Have already printed it out. Told my husband about it last night and he immediately said that he wanted me to make it. We grew some really nice sweet onions and garlic so that will be perfect.

My husband picked one giant bowl of Boysenberries yesterday and another one this morning. He is juicing the berries for me. So guess what I'm doing in between all the rest of the projects that I have going. Trying to get the Sheetrock on my new Art Studio taped and textured so that is taking a lot of my time in the evening. Gosh I wish I was rich and didn't have to work 8 hours a day. Oh well, I'll manage some how.

Sandee

Just made some refrigerator dill pickles with extra dill and garlic. These are the big half gallon Ball jars - I love them for pickles!
big_smile.png

31358_dill_pickles_001.jpg

Thanks guys! I'll let you know in 4 days how they taste - that's what's important.
smile.png

I want to go strawberry picking tomorrow (our fields just opened a few days ago here) and hopefully I'll be busy catching up to all of you with strawberry jam, etc. I'm so jealous of all you southern gals - you're months ahead of me! The good part is I get to steal all your wonderful ideas and recipes by the time my turn for canning comes around
lol.png

Quote:
My grandma always made zucchini relish, it was great!!!

That's on my standard items list to can every year. Always a hit! My grndmother loved it and Zucchini Pickles. I made them for her every year.

O.k. the coop isn't finished because here in southern Va. we are having pop-up storms and the finishing of the coop has been delayed for now for safety (mainly) since with these storms come pretty good winds. Um, but my buddy and I did can the Zuchinni Relisha nd it is
droolin.gif
delish
droolin.gif
anyways we are wanting to make Banana Preserves and we need a recipe.....a great tasting one. So, if you have one can you please post it, preferably one that you have tried and liked.

Thanks and oh, next week we are going to be making more relish, zuchinni and squash relish.....YUMMY!!!!!

Made it this afternoon

Blushing Peach Jam
recipezaar #51038

My changes were I used only 5 cups of sugar (it was more than enough) and I used cherry liquor instead of almond extract, and finally I used my food processor for the peaches, leaving some diced up and did not crush the raspberries since they are fragile and would end up that way during the cooking process. It is tasty!

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Blushing-Peach-Jam-51038

Also made some Marachino cherries since we cannot have red dye at our house, they are good but some of the cherries have a brown tinge, not sure if that is normal for cherries that are canned, they taste really good, I was hoping you guys could answer my question.

and some Peach Salsa because my husband has been asking for some.

10773_100_4201.jpg

10773_100_4197.jpg

10773_100_4198.jpg

Quote:
That's on my standard items list to can every year. Always a hit! My grndmother loved it and Zucchini Pickles. I made them for her every year.

O.k. the coop isn't finished because here in southern Va. we are having pop-up storms and the finishing of the coop has been delayed for now for safety (mainly) since with these storms come pretty good winds. Um, but my buddy and I did can the Zuchinni Relisha nd it is
droolin.gif
delish
droolin.gif
anyways we are wanting to make Banana Preserves and we need a recipe.....a great tasting one. So, if you have one can you please post it, preferably one that you have tried and liked.

Thanks and oh, next week we are going to be making more relish, zuchinni and squash relish.....YUMMY!!!!!

I started making this one a couple years ago. I sell A LOT of it and have repeat buyers. It's great as a jam or an ice cream topping.

Banana Jam

4 cups bananas, mashed
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 box Fruit Pectin
1/2 tsp. butter or margarine
6 cups sugar, measured into separate bowl

Put bananas in a saucepot. Stir in lemon and pectin. Add butter, if desired. Bring to a full rolling boil.

Frogdogtimestwo - those are beautiful in the jar.

Stir in all sugar. Return to full rolling boil and boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off any foam with metal spoon.
Cover with two-piece lids. Process 10 minutes in WB canner.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom