What are you canning now?

Just finished that batch of marmalade. PERFECT! It's a semi soft set, its got a bitter taste, but not overwhelming... not too sweet. The skins are fantastically candied, and the color did not come out too dark its actually still VERY orange in color. So low and slow is key with this. **PLEASED**
ya.gif

I also got a batch of fig jam done and lavender jelly.

So managed to knock 16 jars of jelly/jam today. Its been awhile since I've canned anything, so feels pretty good. :D

Does anyone have a to-die-for Baked Bean canning recipe? I usually just make them fresh, but am thinking it will be nice to have some on hand for those open and heat kind of nights, too.

I just finished a batch of Blood Orange Marmalade. I got to use a few blood oranges from my small tree but had to buy the rest of the blood oranges from the store. lol. I'll be glad when it gets bigger. Then did Blood Orange Habanaro Chile Marmalade for dh.

I got the recipe from this website. I just substituted the blood oranges for the regular. Its the first time I've tried the recipe but I snuck a little taste when I was cooking it up and it was good! I also put in some cajun spice seasoning in it and left out the ginger I like ginger- but only fresh grated ginger and not powdered lol. I think it would be good on smoked brisket or ribs or bbq chicken.
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/printerfriendly/ORANGE-HABANERO-CHILI-MARMALADE-50094243

Just put up a batch of Meyer Lemon Marmalade; pretty standard recipe and process. It helps that my sister has a productive tree!

Also put up a batch of citrus ginger marmalade. Same recipe more or less except it's Meyer lemon and pink grapefruit plus some grated fresh ginger and red pepper flakes.

Overrun of both is fresh in the fridge; mmmm.

Freezing, not canning, an over abundance of turnips. Wish you were here- I'd give you some...

Does anyone here have well water? I was wondering, last time I used filtered water for canning process. This time when I made marmalade I did not. I had some discolored yellowish cast on the outside (only) of the jars and it washed right off. Is there something safe that I could add to the water next time to prevent this?
Our water is fine and safe to use but has a high sulphur content and I am not going to put a filter or invest anymore in this house since I am moving soon. I am hoping I can just add something to the water rather than have to use filtered/bottled water for the canning process..

Back
Top Bottom