What are you canning now?

Sounds yummy. I have a couple little Meyer Lemon trees. I just love the Meyer lemons they are so juicy! I would grow those trees even without fruits because they bloom througout the year and the flowers are pretty (white and pinkish purple) and smell as good as the best jasmine!! I put one on each side of the swing outside where we sit.

Does anyone here have well water? I was wondering, last time I used filtered water for canning process. This time when I made marmalade I did not. I had some discolored yellowish cast on the outside (only) of the jars and it washed right off. Is there something safe that I could add to the water next time to prevent this?
Our water is fine and safe to use but has a high sulphur content and I am not going to put a filter or invest anymore in this house since I am moving soon. I am hoping I can just add something to the water rather than have to use filtered/bottled water for the canning process..

half cup of white vinegar

Just put up a batch of Meyer Lemon Marmalade; pretty standard recipe and process. It helps that my sister has a productive tree!

Also put up a batch of citrus ginger marmalade. Same recipe more or less except it's Meyer lemon and pink grapefruit plus some grated fresh ginger and red pepper flakes.

Overrun of both is fresh in the fridge; mmmm.

Freezing, not canning, an over abundance of turnips. Wish you were here- I'd give you some...

Recipe please on the lemon marmalade - and what do you use it on?

I've got lemons from my MIL right now.

Happy Chooks,

I've only used Meyer Lemons; you may have to adjust if using other lemons but the recipe is about the same for orange or other citrus. My recipe is an amalgam of several I found online. Check out the center for home food processing at UGA. It's great on biscuits or toast, makes a good base for lemon vinagraite, or lemon slaw. So a base for glaze for seafood.

1.5 lbs of Meyer lemons sliced very thinly, seeds and pithy center removed and set aside. (That's 5 - 7 Meyer lemons.)
4 cups water
4 cups sugar

Put seeds, ends removed from lemons, and pith in cheesecloth and tie closed with twine. Put pith bundle, lemons, and water in nonreactive pot. Bring to a boil and reduce to a steady simmer. Simmer until peels are just tender - 30 to 45 minutes.

Remove pith bundle and allow bundle to cool just until you can handle it. Squeeze bundle, scraping "goo" from it into lemons along with any juice you squeeze out.. The goo is pectin. This is a lot easier than it sounds.

Add the sugar and bring to a rolling boil. Boil until it reaches 220F. If no thermometer do the plate test (a drop on a frozen plate should "set" and if pushed with fingernail surface of drop should ripple.)

Fill prepared jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace and process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

Happy Chooks,

I've only used Meyer Lemons; you may have to adjust if using other lemons but the recipe is about the same for orange or other citrus. My recipe is an amalgam of several I found online. Check out the center for home food processing at UGA. It's great on biscuits or toast, makes a good base for lemon vinagraite, or lemon slaw. So a base for glaze for seafood.

1.5 lbs of Meyer lemons sliced very thinly, seeds and pithy center removed and set aside. (That's 5 - 7 Meyer lemons.)
4 cups water
4 cups sugar

Put seeds, ends removed from lemons, and pith in cheesecloth and tie closed with twine. Put pith bundle, lemons, and water in nonreactive pot. Bring to a boil and reduce to a steady simmer. Simmer until peels are just tender - 30 to 45 minutes.

Remove pith bundle and allow bundle to cool just until you can handle it. Squeeze bundle, scraping "goo" from it into lemons along with any juice you squeeze out.. The goo is pectin. This is a lot easier than it sounds.

Add the sugar and bring to a rolling boil. Boil until it reaches 220F. If no thermometer do the plate test (a drop on a frozen plate should "set" and if pushed with fingernail surface of drop should ripple.)

Fill prepared jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace and process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
Great, thanks!

So no peels or rind in it, just in the cheesecloth bundle?

Making pickled quail eggs this weekend, will report back on how they turn out.
clap.gif

Great, thanks!

So no peels or rind in it, just in the cheesecloth bundle?

sorry, I see I wasn't very clear. After seeds and pith are removed the lemons are
sliced very thin, with the peels. That first long simmer is judged by the peels softening & getting just translucent. I use a mandolin too slice lemons about 1/8" thick.. The ends of lemons with pith and seeds make up the bundle.

Marmalade needs the rinds/peels...

sorry, I see I wasn't very clear. After seeds and pith are removed the lemons are
sliced very thin, with the peels. That first long simmer is judged by the peels softening & getting just translucent. I use a mandolin too slice lemons about 1/8" thick.. The ends of lemons with pith and seeds make up the bundle.

Marmalade needs the rinds/peels...

That's what I was thinking, but wanted to clarify. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom