What are you canning now?

Do you can the pickled eggs?

Yes, they will be canned. It's vinegar based & when brought to a light boil and poured over the eggs it will seal the jars automatically. Being that it's vinegar, it acts as a preservative.
smile.png

We make pickled eggs, but do not store them in the pantry. Pickled eggs are only considered safe when stored in the refrigerator. The problem is that the solution can take a long time to penetrate to the middle of the eggs -- and may never make it all the way through -- which leaves an environment in the middle of each egg that is conducive to the growth of botulism and other nasties. While lots of people pickle them and store them on a shelf, and while I do "play with fire" with some other recipes this has never been one I've found worth it to toy with. I make up a couple quarts at a time and keep them in the fridge, they keep a good long time in there.

Here's a link to the NCFHP - http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_06/pickled_eggs.html

Just a warning on the Habanero Blood Orange Chili Marmalade. It gets much hotter the longer it sits especially if you leave the seeds in. My dh just ate some with his breakfast the other day and loved it but said it sure got a lot hotter since he tried it when we first made it. For him, that's a good thing. He likes super spicy foods and didn't think it was hot enough at first lol. Maybe use jalapenos and leave out the seeds if you want it milder.

Canned up 4 quarts of poultry stock. Had at least 5 but used some in some soup I made right off the bat.

Getting a 40lb case of oranges and I plan on making marmalade. Also need to free up some space for a half a hog so will be putting up strawberry jam and strawberry lemonade marmalade. Lots of strawberries to use up!

Canned up 4 quarts of poultry stock. Had at least 5 but used some in some soup I made right off the bat.

Getting a 40lb case of oranges and I plan on making marmalade. Also need to free up some space for a half a hog so will be putting up strawberry jam and strawberry lemonade marmalade. Lots of strawberries to use up!

Could I have the recipe for the strawberry lemonade marmalade please?

Back
Top Bottom