What are you canning now?

Quote: THe ones in the mustard sauce were burnt, so, no, not so much. lol And the hot and spicy were too hot for my tastes. GOod but too hot.

I would try them today though, being careful about preventing burning the mustard sauce, and use less spicy. THese kinds of condiments stand on there own and are not blended into another food to lessen the heat impact.

It seems I have found THE canning thread.
thumbsup.gif
It's my new addiction. I canned 33 pints of salsa in the last 2 days and have lots of tomatoes, green peppers, garlic and onions leftover to make more. I'm planning on red (garlic and basil) sauce later today.
I have a question for making fried peppers and onions. My MIL always water bath canned hot peppers, green peppers and onions that were fried in oil. I know you can't can them this way and need the pressure canner but I always got the "Oh, none of us ever died from it".
I'd like to fry up the peppers and onions in canola/olive oil with some herbs, but need to know how to can it in the pressure canner. The sauce would consist of just juice from the vegetables and the oil. I prefer not to add tomatoes but will if I HAVE to. I'm planning on using pint size jars.
How long do I pressure can them for and at what pressure? Do I need to add vinegar or canning salt to the jars?
Thanks for any help!

I am of the 'there is a first time for everything' mode of thinking.
If it is not in the ball book, I do not do it. Maybe you could put them in freezer bags, or even freeze the jars. I have boxes that say for canning or freezing.

This is a wonderful thread. I am asked all the time by non gardening- non outside people to have me teach them how to can. I spend six hours a day in 96+ degree heat working at our nursery, and then the very last thing I want to do is to come home and stand around a stove and can anything. But I also want to help them learn how to can. I am just to exhausted.
I wish the gardens were a winter thing.

It seems I have found THE canning thread.
thumbsup.gif
It's my new addiction. I canned 33 pints of salsa in the last 2 days and have lots of tomatoes, green peppers, garlic and onions leftover to make more. I'm planning on red (garlic and basil) sauce later today.
I have a question for making fried peppers and onions. My MIL always water bath canned hot peppers, green peppers and onions that were fried in oil. I know you can't can them this way and need the pressure canner but I always got the "Oh, none of us ever died from it".
I'd like to fry up the peppers and onions in canola/olive oil with some herbs, but need to know how to can it in the pressure canner. The sauce would consist of just juice from the vegetables and the oil. I prefer not to add tomatoes but will if I HAVE to. I'm planning on using pint size jars.
How long do I pressure can them for and at what pressure? Do I need to add vinegar or canning salt to the jars?
Thanks for any help!
THe canning book I got with my canner has all the instructions for different items.

THe water bath method has limited uses. ie tomatos or vinegar based items. Some jams and jellies. But not meats and other vegetables.

THe " non of us ever died" answer is hooey, others have or become violently sick. Canning properly is very important. THe instructions call for meats being canned under 11 pounds of pressure for 90 minutes. ( I"m at sea level) and other items like vegies have different temps and times for the size of the jar.

I'm not experienced enough to give you the info you are looking for, only to say finding the right way is well worth the effort.

When you buy a canner, the instuction booklet covers a huge aray of possiblities, but not everything. Yet any canning book I have looked read the reviews on are also limited for our creative endevors. At this point I am canning and erring on the longer times and higher pressure.

My mother canned a lot of food for years, and we never got sick either. But I know she did the pressure canning for some items. and hot water bath for others. She was careful.

I am of the 'there is a first time for everything' mode of thinking.
If it is not in the ball book, I do not do it. Maybe you could put them in freezer bags, or even freeze the jars. I have boxes that say for canning or freezing.

This is a wonderful thread. I am asked all the time by non gardening- non outside people to have me teach them how to can. I spend six hours a day in 96+ degree heat working at our nursery, and then the very last thing I want to do is to come home and stand around a stove and can anything. But I also want to help them learn how to can. I am just to exhausted.
I wish the gardens were a winter thing.
goodpost.gif

I don't do AC-- the trasition from ofice to outside was always tough. I prefer working in a warehouse without the AC!! My house is rather hot right now between brooder lights ( just hatched ducklings) and the oven and the stove. 80 degrees!!

GIves me greater respect for our mothers in the past that endured the hot kitchens all year round. THey must have been tough cookies!! ANd strong physically.

More squash to process!!

I wonder if I email Presto if they would help?
I'm making my sauce right now. Reducing on the stovetop and my house smells WONDERFUL. It's just taking forever to reduce and doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

I wonder if I email Presto if they would help?
I'm making my sauce right now. Reducing on the stovetop and my house smells WONDERFUL. It's just taking forever to reduce and doesn't seem to be going anywhere.
gig.gif
Well you know the old saying, a watched pot never boils . . . .

Whole or halved tomoatos-- water bath canning is to process pints and qts 85 minutes. FOr processing above 1000 feet you need other instructions.

1000-3000 increase processing tim 5 minutes
3000-6000 increase processing time 10 minutes
6000-8000 increase processing time 15 minutes

Tomato sauce-- process pints 35 minutes and qts 40 minutes , for above 1000 feet see the post above.

salsa-- use the boiling water method. Process pints for 15 minutes.

Others like pickles are 10 minutes Maybe the vinegar factor-- IDK.

Back
Top Bottom