What are you canning now?

This is inspiring!!!

I've got some red jalapenos and a stovetop smoker and a food dehydrator.... Will that work to make chipotle?
How long do they smoke for? Inquiring minds want to know!
I've been a cook all my life (well almost) and I don't believe I've ever seen a stovetop smoker.
Anyways, the best results I've attained is smoking the peppers (cut in half lengthwise) in my smoker @ about125°-150° for about eight hours using hickory chips.
I then finish them in the oven at the lowest setting possible. My oven won't go below 170°. I place them spread out, not touching each other on a tray. I keep the oven door cracked open just a hair with a spoon or something, to let the moisture out.

Sometimes I turn it off for awhile if I think it's getting too hot, then turn it back on.

How much time it takes can vary depending on how much moisture is removed during smoking. You don't want to cook them, but dry them out completely, until they feel crispy dry.
I then grind them in my blender a handful at a time, then put the powder up in whatever I have.

It's wonderful in just about anything you want to add heat and flavor to. Great sprinkled on eggs too!

Last edited:
Cameron makes the stovetop smoker. I've got the large and the small. It's essentially a sealed box in which woodflakes of various flavors are heated to release smoke which is then concentrated on the racks of food. If you keep the box long-term on the burner or turn up the heat you will eventually cook the food....great for salmon. But for longer-cooking items (like a rack of ribs), it's better to finish them in the oven. Veggies turn out really well, too. Needless to say, if you live in an apartment or don't have a bbq, this is a great alternative. It doesn't do that nice bbq char, though. Just smoke flavor.

www.cameronsproducts.com/stovetop-smoker

I've got a food dehydrator that doesn't go above 165, I believe. Hopefully the capasian won't be too potent as it can really get the house aromatic with all the blowing air.

Last edited:
Cameron makes the stovetop smoker. I've got the large and the small. It's essentially a sealed box in which woodflakes of various flavors are heated to release smoke which is then concentrated on the racks of food. If you keep the box long-term on the burner or turn up the heat you will eventually cook the food....great for salmon. But for longer-cooking items (like a rack of ribs), it's better to finish them in the oven. Veggies turn out really well, too. Needless to say, if you live in an apartment or don't have a bbq, this is a great alternative. It doesn't do that nice bbq char, though. Just smoke flavor.

www.cameronsproducts.com/stovetop-smoker

I've got a food dehydrator that doesn't go above 165, I believe. Hopefully the capasian won't be too potent as it can really get the house aromatic with all the blowing air.
Just keep the smoker low. be careful handling peppers, and especially grinding. A noseful will drop ya.

Sorry for the delay in responding. Was out of town all last week with little to no mobile service. We (Dad, my son, and myself) were in Wyoming hunting. Son got his first mule deer; a buck. Nice 3x3 plus a little stubby brow tine on one side. :D

Ours didn't bubble or ferment any further. I used vodka for most and a couple were made with bourbon though. As long as the flavor doesn't go off, I'd give them a try.

@WYNot
  When you make your Cherries with the alcohol do they ferment?  My jar of Brandy Cherries has created pressure and is leaking the juice out.  As I loosen the top, the liquid inside is bubbling.  Good or not good?

Glad you got it solved. I think I left 1/2" of headspace.

I did put it in the fridge last night - in a bowl with a piece of plastic wrap over it to keep everything out of the juice that is spilling out.  I tasted the "spillage" and it is really good!  I guess I overfilled it when I made the brandy cherries and didn't leave enough head space.
Thanks for the affirmation that I did right, I was second guessing myself.

Originally Posted by Glasshen

Does anyone have a recipe for rose hip jam that gives the ratio of sugar to pulp? The ones I have talk about the original rose hip quantity...and that ship has sailed.

So this is what I have Rose Hip Jelly.

I wonder if wild rose hips would be okay. I have some of those. If you want the recipe I can scan it and post it here. It takes 16 cups of rose hips.

Let me know.

Sorry to everyone else for not following too close. I've been busy working in the yard, with chickens, volunteering and taking care of DW. She's doing okay really but fatigued. The garden will need much attention next spring if I don't get to it.

I bought a box of ginger gold apples and now have more apples than I need. I'm doing up applesauce to donate and for the house. Went and picked apples at O'Neils and B & K.

Also finally made it to Second Chance Apple farm around the corner. They had Northern Spy's. Really large apples. Good for pies. I may attempt some pie filling.

I've been tending to Raspberry plants, Currants and Goose berry bushes. OMG I nearly forgot I've got to take care of the Josta berry bushes too.

Also have chicks to tend to and the incubator is up and running. I hope at least half the Marans eggs hatch, but I also put in some EE and Delaware eggs.

I acquired some Marsh Daisies too. Just a trio but we shall see how they work out.

Next spring ducks I hope.

So there it is. Why I haven't been following to closely.

Glass let me know about this recipe. I have recipes for most everything.

TTFN,

Rancher, bought too many apples, Hicks

Back
Top Bottom