What are you canning now?

A friend was visiting last weekend and he loves to talk cooking with me. He has come up with a novel idea that want to share with you folks.

He recently acquired a dehydrator and is experimenting with new recipes. His wife made homemade tomato soup for supper one night and after she strained it she left the chunky bits in a bowl on the counter. He scooped it up and filled a fruit leather pan and popped it into his dehydrator. After it was dry, he crushed it up and tasted it. Yummy! so he used it as a seasoning mix for grilled chicken. It was fabulous!

1. When I strain juice through cheese cloth, I use 3 or 4 layers - usually just 3. I only strain it once. I have always been happy with the result from one straining, but I may not be as picky about it being clear as I should. My Sunshine Rhubarb Juice always ends up with a little lemon zest sediment on the bottom of the jar.

2. I am not sure of the optimum number of layers to use, but I am fairly frugal and it seems that 4 is enough to do the job - I use 3 layers because when I fold the cheese cloth to fit my strainer, folding it in thirds fits best.

3. Don't know about glass vs. plastic. I have picked a whole bunch of wild grapes for making some jelly. How important is it to let it sit and precipitate out the crystals?

4. I never reuse my cheesecloth. However, I have a couple of jelly bags that I wash and reuse all the time. They are linen and I prefer it to cheesecloth. Just throw it in the laundry with my dish towels.
I forgot to let my first batch sit for 24 hrs and was told it was crunchy. Not that I recall what I kept for myself but the recipe does say to let it sit. I have been just tossing my cheesecloth into the washer and running it on a rinse cycle.

So what I learned from this batch. I used eight sheets of cheese cloth to pour the grape juice through after letting it sit for 24 hrs and avoiding the crystals and sediment. I let it sit a couple of days since I was busy, but today on measuring out the five cups I found no crystals or sediment. What this means is I got them all the first time around and won't go through a second screening.

Now to see how the jelly turns out.

Grape jelly turned out good. Now doing Pomegranate Grape.

I had a bottle of Lakewood organic pomegranate juice ( 4 cups in the bottle) and one cup of the grape juice. So I'm doing it up just like I did with the grape jelly. Thankfully I noticed sediment in the bottom of the Pomegranate juice bottle and poured the juice through some cheese cloth.

I also dumped the too tart gooseberry jam and ran that through a strainer and will add strawberries to that and hope it comes out good.

I have wanted a pressure canner so bad but I finally decided to start doing what I could with the boiling water bath method. So far I have made blackberry jelly, elderberry syrup, apple pie filling, apple pie preserves, and jalapeno jelly. It won't make much of a dent in feeding the Wildbunch this winter but it is satisfying to get back into the game. I have also dried a huge amount of peppers, jalapenos, red and yellow bells, sweet bananas, along with sweet peas, tomatoes, carrots. I have froze around 40 qts. of tomatoes and at least that much potatoes for french fries. I have 3 of my roosters in the freezer but I wish still that I had a pressure canner to can them. I want to move away from so much of depending on the power company (freezer).

5 bushels apples!!
Doing 80 apples right now (1 bushel)
This is #2 bushel done but 3rd total as I did 1 special for my dad.
Whew hope I've got enough jars.

Back
Top Bottom