What are you canning now?

7 more jars of strawberry jam - done.

I'm waiting on the last canner full of beans. I've done kidney, pinto, seasoned pinto and great northern today. I'm done for the day! I thought I'd be ambitious today and got the beans soaking. Then, it hit me that each pressure canner full takes 75 minutes plus cooling down time. Oh well, it's done and it will be good to have the jars ready.

Yesterday I did 3 batches of Blackberry 'things'. Ended up with 9 jars Blackberry Jam, 10 jars Blackberry/Apple Jam, and 7 jars Seedless Blackberry Jelly. I'm emptying the freezers of berries. And just in time too, the wild blackberries are loaded and will soon be ready.

I'm off to pick blueberries at a neighboring farm this monring. Some for me and some to sell at the market Saturday.

Prairiegirl - that's a bunch of beans in one day! Don't you just love having them on hand? I find them very convenient and so much better than commercial cans.

Last edited:
Prairiegirl, I use this recipe for making my own canned baked beans. There are also a couple in the BBB that I tried, but we prefer this one from an older Kerr Canning Book.

Hope you enjoy the Seasoned Pinto recipe. We love them, sometimes I empty a pint jar into a saucepan, add 1/2 tsp each cumin and chili powder. Smash beeans while heating through....waalaa! homemade refried beans to go with Mexican dishes.

Baked Beans
From the Kerr Canning book (~1985)

4 cups navy beans
1/2 lb salt pork, ham or bacon cut in small pieces
4 teaspoons salt
4 tbsp molasses
6 teaspoons prepared mustard
1 1/2 cups catsup
8 tbsp brown sugar
2 cups onions- chopped

Wash beans thoroughly. Cover with cold water and soak overnight. Boil in same water 45 minutes. Drain beans,SAVING THE WATER. Add all ingredients to beans and 2 cups bean liquid. Mix well. Pack into jars to within one inch of top. Put on cap, screw band firmly tight.
Yield 8 pints
Process in pressure canner. Pints for 75 minutes and quarts for 90 minutes at 10 pounds pressure

I bought those last year at Walmart. I have not looked this season. They are pretty spendy, they come in a 4 pack and are called Ball Elite Platinum Jars. I believe I paid 4 or 5.oo for them last year. I believe they come in 8oz, 16oz.

I googled the name and came up with several sources, I would shop around and see who is cheaper, hope that helps!

cherry jam, if I can find a good recipe that tastes like cherries, not so much sugar! I have a 10 lb box of 5 different varieties, from my neighbors cherry ranch. Definitely cherry brandy and cordial too!!!
lol.png

I have cherry pie filling on my blog today that I canned.

http://bigredcouch.com/journal/

Most people don't realize that it is the sugar that helps create the environment that prevents food spoilage. I urge everyone who is canning jams/jelly/preserves/marmalade, etc not to cut back on the sugar. You are shortening shelf life. Old fashioned preserves with heavy sugar will store at least 2 years on your shelves. I seriously hate the low sugar pectin. Sugar is not the enemy.

Quote:
I am ok with that, but how can I make jam thats not so sweet? I prefer the slightly sour taste....Ive added lemon juice to apricot jam, and it was great, but dont know how that would taste w/ cherry jam...
Is there a good cherry jam recipe on this thread?
thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom