What are you canning now?

I am processing more beans! 40 mins to go. We have eaten all the bladk beans I made a few weeks ago so thins time I am pressure processing so I can store them longer and not have them taking up space in my fridge. I am doing great northern right now and will do the black eyed peas next...I LONE having them ready to eat! Terri O

Quote:
What did you use for the ratio of apples to cranberries? My son loves this jam, so I was going to make it again for him.

I think I did maybe 10 cups apples to 2 cups cranberries
smile.png

For those of you who have canned your dry beans...I have a question. The black beans I cooked in a SC and then put them in jars--they sealed just from the residual heat and I refrigerated them and used them up within a month. The texture was perfect!
Last night I canned up black-eyed peas. Soaked then jarred 2 cups in a quart and added a piece of fatback and a tsp of salt, topped with boiling water and pressure processed for 90 mins. Even though they were not cooked first they still look to be pretty mushy in the jars.
sad.png

I also did great northern beans. Did not soak, only cooked them in a SC for about 2 hours; nearly filled the jars and processed 90 mins. They too look over done and mushy! I have not opened the jars yet to see if they are indeed too soft.

Is there another method that will keep the beans all in one piece like the black beans were? Am I doomed to have jars of beans in my refrigerator forever? What is your best method? Thanks for the help! Terri O

Quote:
I went to your blog to find the recipe and OMG I am dying over your "Why we shoot deer in the wild" blog.
lau.gif
Never did find the recipe, but had a great laugh!

Haven't posted the recipe yet. should be up by tomorrow afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom