What are you canning now?

Quote:
th.gif
hit.gif
he.gif

I suppose I could send my Vitamix in for an "overhaul" I still have the original box. I got mine 30 years ago on the "layaway" plan.

Now back to What are we canning...

I am trying hand at making Cranberry and Raspberry cordials.

172012CranberryandRaspberryCordialemail.jpg

I bought the cranberries on sale for .99 a bag. And the raspberries I had in the freezer from earlier in the year.
I hope using frozen berries won't hurt the process. I got the Gin at Costco... it wasn't cheap!

A friend of mine made them as gifts for the holidays.
The Cranberry is to die for if you like sweet drinks.

It is a very easy recipe.

Recipe

4 cups cranberries (any berry would work)
3 cups sugar
2 cups Gin

Pick over cranberries, rinse thoroughly and coarsly chop. Place in large glass screw top jar, ( I used a half gallon canning jar)
add the sugar and gin, stir.

Cover tightly, invert jar and let stand for one day. Turn the jar upright and let stand another day.
Repeat the daily turning for three weeks.
Strain through dampened cheesecloth into a decanter and cover.

Don't throw out the berries! Spoon then into a canning jar and refrigerate.

The berries can be used in scones, quick breads or spooned over ice cream.

Both the cordial and the berries can be used a gifts in pretty bottles or jars.

In three weeks I will find some fun bottle and jars. I want to take a photo of the cordial backlit. It is a beautiful color!

I have a canning question! I basically taught myself how to can making jam for the first time last summer, so I am very new to this... I know that acid content in the recipe of what you're canning is an issue and I'm not sure why, but I want to can some homemade BBQ sauce and Spaghetti sauce with meat and I'm not sure if it will work. What can you tell me about canning these kinds of things?

I have a canning question! I basically taught myself how to can making jam for the first time last summer, so I am very new to this... I know that acid content in the recipe of what you're canning is an issue and I'm not sure why, but I want to can some homemade BBQ sauce and Spaghetti sauce with meat and I'm not sure if it will work. What can you tell me about canning these kinds of things?

Welcome! You'll be addicted to canning in no time. LOL! Acidity is important but so is density. The more acidic the food the less habitable it is to nasties like botulism, so acidity plays a part in how long you need to can things to make them safe, what kind of canning they require -- BWB or pressure -- etc. And then density effects how well the heat of the canning process is able to penetrate the food, if something is too dense it may be unsafe to can because the heat can't penetrate to the center of the food and kill all of the bacteria, spores, etc.

As far as BBQ and spaghetti sauce go you can find tested recipes that are known to be safe. Check out the ball book. Whenever you can something with meat -- or anything with mixed types of ingredients -- the rule of thumb is to process for the longest ingredient in the jar. So spaghetti sauce without meat may be able to be water bath canned because it's not dense and is acidic (as long as you follow a good recipe) but with meat you would need to pressure can, because the meat itself needs to be pressure canned. HTH!

I must admit I'm always jealous of the southerners who have local produce to can in the winter. I've been itching to can something for the past couple weeks but our garden won't come on for several more months.
hit.gif

I must admit I'm always jealous of the southerners who have local produce to can in the winter. I've been itching to can something for the past couple weeks but our garden won't come on for several more months.
hit.gif

How about cranberries?? I am finding cranberries on sale and making cranberry sauce. I looove whole cranberry sauce! It's so simple, yet tasty!

Back
Top Bottom