What are you reading? (or books you highly recommend)

I'm in the middle of The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide, a combination of 6 different stories by Douglas Adams. According to google it's "speculative fiction". Good read, it's one of my favourites.

I actually have the first four books on audio (Audible) and listen to them one after the other while doing chores. Too funny to get old...

(Edit to clarify:
The Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy
The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Life, the Universe and Everything
So Long and Thanks for all the Fish)

Great thread! You all probably aren't interested in the stuff I read, lol.

Those and veterinary text books. :oops:

Of course we are! I'm interested!
popcorn-gif.554998

I'm reading a bunch of things -

The History of the World in 12 Maps (History)
First Bite (Psychology - about how we learn to eat what we eat, or how much to eat, etc.)
(and several cookbooks...)

There's other stuff in the pile, but I haven't started them yet.

One book I recently finished that I loved and would highly recommend is Consider the Fork by Bee Wilson (Culinary history). Fascinating, and she has an amusing dry wit in her writing style that makes it all the better. You'll never look at your kitchen the same way again!

Last edited:
One book I really enjoyed was The Hot Zone by Richard Preston.
https://www.amazon.com/Hot-Zone-Terrifying-Story-Origins/product-reviews/0385495226

The Hot Zone: A Terrifying True Story is a best-selling 1995 nonfiction thriller by Richard Preston about the origins and incidents involving viral hemorrhagic fevers, particularly ebolaviruses and marburgviruses.Wikipedia

Originally published: 1994
Author: Richard Preston
Page count: 420
Adaptations: Outbreak (1995)
Genres: Fiction, Non-fiction, Hard science fiction

Last edited:
I actually have the first four books on audio (Audible) and listen to them one after the other while doing chores. Too funny to get old...

(Edit to clarify:
Sweet! Nice to meet another fan. :clap

First book is probably my favourite...

These authors that go on for pages to describe one setting drive me nuts!

I can't stand that. They often lose me within the first few chapters if they do that.

But but but... I LIKE Tolkien! :D

Have you read The Great Influenza? (Non-fiction - medicine, about the 1918 influenza epidemic)
Better yet, have you read A Prayer for the Dying? Fictionalized account of diphtheria outbreak in the 1800s. Amazing, and really frightening.
I bet you'd like Spillover by David Quammen if you liked The Hot Zone. (Non-fiction - epidemiology - about animal viruses causing outbreaks of human disease, a la Ebola and friends)

Last edited:

(Edit to clarify:

Of course we are! I'm interested!
popcorn-gif.554998

I'm reading a bunch of things -

The History of the World in 12 Maps
First Bite
(and several cookbooks...)

There's other stuff in the pile, but I haven't started them yet.

One book I recently finished that I loved and would highly recommend is Consider the Fork by Bee Wilson. Fascinating, and she has an amusing dry wit in her writing style that makes it all the better. You'll never look at your kitchen the same way again!

I'm definitely going to check out Consider the Fork. Thanks!

Yes, this was a good book. Worth a second read for me since it's been well over 10 years past the first read.

Kathy, do you read the journals & vet text books only when you have an issue to research or do you also read to learn?

Back
Top Bottom