what bantams are the LEAST broody?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by dixie lover, Apr 28, 2008.

1. dixie lover

dixie lover Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2008
    Missouri
    Does anyone know if there is such a thing? I love the low feed consumption of the bantam but I don't get eggs when the hens are sitting on eggs, golfballs or empty nests.Yeah, I want it all.[​IMG] So, which bantams are the least likely to all go broody? Thanks.

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Well, my japanese bantam only goes broody about once a year.

3. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    Golden Campines. They lay white eggs and come in standard or bantam and very rarely go broody. They are very pretty also.

4. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Our Easter Eggers haven't gone broody on us at all and they laid pretty consistently over the winter.

Stay away from Silkies and Cochins! We had both and they wanted to go broody as soon as they began laying last Fall. We sold the Cochins to a wonderful family but still have the Silkies...all 3 girls are in chicken jail right now since they all decided to go broody together...I just want eggs!!! [​IMG]

Hope this helps!

Dawn

5. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    this should be interesting. had partridge wyandotte bantams, one would go broody, the other one never did. Now with light brahma bantams, getting the same results. Most bantams that I've been around will go broody.

those w/leghorn bantams, do they go broody?

6. mtnchicks

mtnchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2007
    Colorado
    My d'uccles and Sebrights have never gone broody (yet - I've probably jinxed it now!). I only have one light Brahma, but she's never been broody.
    And I agree, and you'll hear this from many others, that Silkies are often broody. I think one of my Silkie hens would try to hatch rocks if I let her. My frizzled cochin occasionally is broody also.

7. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    And I agree, and you'll hear this from many others, that Silkies are often broody. I think one of my Silkie hens would try to hatch rocks if I let her.

Ours are professional "air" hatchers....[​IMG]

Dawn​

8. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    Sebrights are a non-setting breed.

9. dixie lover

dixie lover Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:The bantams rarely go broody also? I found one person in TX. with hatching eggs (bantam)

10. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    I'm sending you a PM

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by