What breed for us?

Are they very protective if you? We had a stranger on our property and the two males started circling my mother with their feathers all fluffed out keeping him away from her. 
Lol, our toms circle the vehicles of company and strut and gobble. Usually have to go out and push them away so they can get out. My youngest boy is their leader when he is here. They follow him everywhere and gobble on command to him. Six years old and not much bigger than the birds.

LOL I used to have chickens when I was a teen. (They were mine. Parents originaly bought them for slaughter....YAHHH that didnt happen LMAO!). They were free range. I would lay in the yard and all four would lay on me. The lightest one was 55 pounds heavest was 60.
a 55lb chicken? I have an issue with that.

Orpintons are the best! They are very friendly, and lay huge beautiful creamy eggs almost every day. My buff orp, Dandelion, always comes running and will follow me around.

We started off with 5 Speckle Sussex chicks last July. Then got 2 Welsummers and 1 EE chicks this May. My 5 SS laid between 52 eggs (April) to 103 eggs (June). They are cold and hot weather hardy and are very friendly. My Wellies started laying in Oct right when my SS stop to molt, I got 38 eggs from them that month. Nov with the shorter days and no artificial light I only got 27 eggs. I am still waiting on my EE to start laying.

I have lots of different kinds, RIR's, Gold & Silver Laced Wyandottes, Red Stars, Buff Orpingtons, Jersey Giants, Barred Rocks, Cuckoo Marans, and Americanas. I can honestly say, I haven't met a chicken I don't like!

LOL I used to have chickens when I was a teen. (They were mine. Parents originaly bought them for slaughter....YAHHH that didnt happen LMAO!). They were free range. I would lay in the yard and all four would lay on me. The lightest one was 55 pounds heavest was 60.

Um, a FIFTY FIVE POUND CHICKEN?
ep.gif
What the heck did you feed them???

Favaucanas - From what I can see, they are new and will first be available late Spring 2013. I'm not sure I would jump on them if you are limited in the number of birds you can have since there is no laying history to consider.

I can't give you any data since I got my first chicks ever in June from Ideal. They sexed 100% (phew).
They have JUST started laying.

I chose based on a few factors, winter hardiness being the most important. And I wanted good egg layers of large eggs but I slipped into liking some of the rare breeds so I relaxed a bit on the second two. They should all lay at least 3 a week, some as many as 6. I also wanted a mixed flock for interest in looks and so I could possibly have an idea of which are laying.

First, I will say that NONE of my girls is a problem with respect to aggressiveness toward people, but I don't have little kids who are likely to abuse them with love.

They ALL have their own personalities, it is not breed specific. The most reserved when they were a couple of months old was a Partridge Chantecler and her hatch mate was one of the most likely to come for treats (earwigs!). Same with the Australorps. Echo would jump in my lap to stick her whole body in the earwig container, Zorra was tentative.

They hatched June 12, I received them June 14.

Ancona - BIG combs, I call them "Veronica Lake" chickens because the comb flops over the side of their head
smile.png
I'll have to watch them for frostbite but as I understand it, if the humidity in the coop is not high, they will be fine. Draft free VENTILATION is very important for all chickens.

These girls were stand-offish when they were young, wouldn't take treats from my hand. Then I started giving BOSS (black oil sunflower seed) and they loved it so much they would eat it from my hand. Then they got close to laying and got downright friendly. One has flown 5' from the ground to my shoulder just to "say hi".

They started laying 2 weeks ago when they were 21 weeks old. So far the eggs are Medium size and they have both been laying 3 or 4 days in a row, then a day or 2 off. The eggs SHOULD get to Large size. One actually did, it was a double yolk Large. The next egg was shell-less and dropped off the roost right in front of me. The next day she laid a regular Large. Glitches in the works happen I guess.

Black Australorp - fairly small comb. My girls are two different sizes (though both large fowl). The smaller one started laying Monday this week at 24 weeks and has laid twice. Don't know when the other will start but they are supposed to be VERY good egg layers. Medium brown colored egg, the 2 we've gotten have been between Medium and Large in size. Should be Large when they get the hang of it.

Cubalaya - I would not suggest these for you because they are small and at the largest the eggs will be is Medium. At the moment they MIGHT rate Small. The eggs are a pale rose. But they are interesting small birds and the most likely to be picked up and held, not that they are all that interested in it. Once they started laying a week ago for one, a few days later for the other, they have been champs. An egg at least every other day

Partridge Chantecler - As I said above, one more outgoing than the other. One MAY have laid her first egg yesterday. One was found that was somewhat darker brown and larger than the Cubalaya eggs but smaller and lighter than the Australorp egg. But it could have been a Faverolle egg. Supposed to be good layers of Large eggs. Small to non existent comb, should be very winter hearty.

Easter Egger (Ideal swears they are Americuana but they aren't, they don't match the standards for color). Fun birds, again one more outgoing than the other. Small comb. The more outgoing laid her first egg Sunday, a double yolk XL green blue. She has laid 2 Large since.

Salmon Faverolle We THOUGHT they started laying 3 weeks ago but if they did, we got 3 small eggs, then nothing. They are supposed to be low in the order but they can be pushy. Maybe I chose all "low in the order" breeds.

Bruce

Back
Top Bottom