What breed is this, and is it a boy or girl??

Lollychicken

Songster
Feb 13, 2021
Hi, I would like to know what breed the lighter coloured duck is. We were told it is the same age as the other young duck. It's a Mallard drake and has just started getting green colouring on its face and a curl on his tail. The other one is supposed to be the mother of both, but the lighter brown one looks like a different breed all together. And if anyone could tell if it's is a boy or girl would be greatly appreciated
It's middle one in the first picture, and the one on the end of the other two in the second picture

Attachments

• IMG_20210415_102033.jpg
    IMG_20210415_102033.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20210415_102008.jpg
    IMG_20210415_102008.jpg
    984.4 KB · Views: 38
okay just in case I read it wrong you have two drakes and the darkest completely brown one is the female from what I can tell I'm okay with ducks but better at chicken sexing but just by looks that is what I think and they are mallards

okay just in case I read it wrong you have two drakes and the darkest completely brown one is the female from what I can tell I'm okay with ducks but better at chicken sexing but just by looks that is what I think and they are mallards
Yeah, the mostly brown one in the female, and I know for certain the other darkish brown one is a male because of the curl and green head. If the other is another male mallard then they must have gotten it wrong when they said they are the same age

I had two drakes the same age but one was supposed to be a girl then when the weather warmed up it turned into a boy. They matured the same size wise but their plumage was very different for awhile. I would say that you have two very beautiful boys.

I had two drakes the same age but one was supposed to be a girl then when the weather warmed up it turned into a boy. They matured the same size wise but their plumage was very different for awhile. I would say that you have two very beautiful boys.
Thanks everyone for your help!!! It's is no longer a mystery as to way he looks different

Just an update. He is looking more like the other drake, and has started developing a curly tail. He is just light brown where the other one is green or black (head, wings, and back)
He kept hiding behind the female so you can't really see him

Attachments

• IMG_20210516_112808.jpg
    IMG_20210516_112808.jpg
    617.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20210516_112812.jpg
    IMG_20210516_112812.jpg
    616.3 KB · Views: 24

Back
Top Bottom