What breed is your favorite in your flock?

I do not, personally, recommend getting ISAs, Comets, or any other red sexlink hybrid if your intention is to keep them as pets. They tend to have a very short lifespan due to their super high egg production causing problems down the line. šŸ™ I've not had a similar experience to what you describe because I stopped getting them years ago after I realized that almost every one of them died at 2-3 years of age from something related to egg laying, particularly internal laying and cancers of the reproductive tract, and those that made it past that age still generally died from those as well later on. It was just too heartbreaking for me to grow attached to a bird and then watch them go through that. I hope you have better luck than I did with yours as they age.
So sorry, I haven't lost any yet, some are 5 yrs old. I feed my whole flock the All Flock type of feed though, not feed for Layers. I provide calcium in a separate feeder if some feel the need to peck at it. I don't know if that makes a difference but as I have many roosters mixed in, I heard the Layer feeds can harm them, so everyone gets All Flock here. I still get plenty of eggs but some don't lay every single day & that's OK with me. Maybe I just got lucky with mine so far? I didn't know they may die young. šŸ˜”

I do not, personally, recommend getting ISAs, Comets, or any other red sexlink hybrid if your intention is to keep them as pets. They tend to have a very short lifespan due to their super high egg production causing problems down the line. šŸ™ I've not had a similar experience to what you describe because I stopped getting them years ago after I realized that almost every one of them died at 2-3 years of age from something related to egg laying, particularly internal laying and cancers of the reproductive tract, and those that made it past that age still generally died from those as well later on. It was just too heartbreaking for me to grow attached to a bird and then watch them go through that. I hope you have better luck than I did with yours as they age.
I want to second this. I absolutely LOVE my Golden Comets. They are the funniest, most entertaining, most curious, chickens I have had to date. But unfortunately, I am learning about exactly what you described. 2 months ago I lost one of my Comets to what I believe was salpingitis, along with other reproductive issues. Now my only remaining Comet is going through the exact thing my first one did, plus she laid a lash egg about a month ago which is a horrible sign. I take great care of my chickens and have even done antibiotics and other stuff, but these high production layers' bodies just seem to fade away after a while.

I have no clue how old my Comets were/are because I got them full grown from a farm animal sanctuary, but I don't think they were/are super old. Those chickens have great personalities, but if you get them, be prepared that they may suffer these types of ailments after their second year. I just felt the need to say this since I'm going through my second Golden Comet death right now within a period of two months.

I want to second this. I absolutely LOVE my Golden Comets. They are the funniest, most entertaining, most curious, chickens I have had to date. But unfortunately, I am learning about exactly what you described. 2 months ago I lost one of my Comets to what I believe was salpingitis, along with other reproductive issues. Now my only remaining Comet is going through the exact thing my first one did, plus she laid a lash egg about a month ago which is a horrible sign. I take great care of my chickens and have even done antibiotics and other stuff, but these high production layers' bodies just seem to fade away after a while.

I have no clue how old my Comets were/are because I got them full grown from a farm animal sanctuary, but I don't think they were/are super old. Those chickens have great personalities, but if you get them, be prepared that they may suffer these types of ailments after their second year. I just felt the need to say this since I'm going through my second Golden Comet death right now within a period of two months.

I am so sorry you're having to go through that as well :hugs

From the ones I currently have, the friendliest are the Bantam Cochin. One little cockerel just runs up and begs to be picked up, and will sit on my shoulder. I got two pullets, probably around 3-4 months old, last week and already they are little snugglebugs.

My Cochin bantams are like this, too, just wait in line at my feet for me to sit down so they can hop in my lap. :love Even my two adult breeder males will let me pick them up or hop into my lap for some attention!

Oooh, can you please post a photo of yours? I think one of my mystery rescue hens may be a Buff Brahma mix.
She is so sweet, she's also a wonderful surrogate mama or "auntie" the other hens' chicks. Just love Chanel so much!
View attachment 3281349View attachment 3281350View attachment 3281351View attachment 3281352View attachment 3281353
96776A26-2BC8-479E-8E06-B3C45EB207C3.jpeg

Attachments

• DAE2337F-262B-4E27-9BFB-6672C288555E.jpeg
    DAE2337F-262B-4E27-9BFB-6672C288555E.jpeg
    658 KB · Views: 5
  • BF46B9C6-B302-4679-B46B-32E5CC9F7B1B.jpeg
    BF46B9C6-B302-4679-B46B-32E5CC9F7B1B.jpeg
    491.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 3F247BA0-B36C-4CC1-AA67-A98C78616694.jpeg
    3F247BA0-B36C-4CC1-AA67-A98C78616694.jpeg
    715.8 KB · Views: 6
  • F55FCE1E-4F1B-4D92-B417-914CDDE7DA6C.jpeg
    F55FCE1E-4F1B-4D92-B417-914CDDE7DA6C.jpeg
    567.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 4FC97ABD-653A-4A80-A70D-EB37197F3440.jpeg
    4FC97ABD-653A-4A80-A70D-EB37197F3440.jpeg
    264.2 KB · Views: 5
The first pic is beautiful , what type is that one?
Itā€™s a magical cocktail (or should I say cock-talešŸ˜†) Iā€™m making!

Iā€™ve been pairing up odd combos in my flock, Keeping track and finally found something worth building on I hope.
The 1st pic mentioned above is the rooster. I added some more pics of him below. The females are younger -2.5 months and bigger than Silkie mama already. They, especially males, have contrasting reds & golds side by side. Hens have more of a bright shiny gold bib. Both have a distinct metallic sheen in their red & gold like Iā€™ve never seen before. Itā€™s hard to capture, but super obvious when you see other reds or golds colored breeds next to them. Their black-green iridescent is also eye catching.
I will call them Helmā€™s Monarch. Initially When looking at the gold in their individual feathers, it reminded me of a red-gold monarch butterfly wings that has a flash sheen when light hits it.
They are in their early phase still F1. Weā€™ll see if I can stabilize them into f2 and beyond.

What I can tell you is they are a Fibro-melanistics breed with orphington and a couple other rare beauties. Before proceeding to the next phase, I need to see their egg production, egg color, cold hardiness and by mid Spring Iā€™ll deciding who gets to continue the line. Iā€™d love to share as I evolve them.

An adorable side note is that thereā€™s some jumbo silkies I have to take out of the Monarch pen.
Who knows, maybe that will be something I develop as well. If they produce good eggs, I think they will be a hit.

So far the H. Monarchs are
-bearers of a unique shimmering gold/red bibbed &/or saddled
-fuzzy feathered legged
-5 toed
-modest backward swept crest
-sleek black eyes
-mostly melanistic eyes/skin/beak
-med-large bird (maybe even dual purpose)
-Naturally friendly to all including children. They follow me around more like a puppy then a chicken.
-Fearless protectors if they see a Predator. You wouldnā€™t think this but thatā€™s in part from the Silkie genes.
-Intelligent
-Great free range foragers, but also tolerate enclosures if they arenā€™t cramped.
-egg color TBA: tan, green or blue eggsšŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø

After Iā€™ve selected for egg production and vigor, Iā€™ll sell some while continuing to improve the breed. Seeing if I can het them to breed true.
Iā€™m having fun. A bit of knowledge regarding genetics has been helpful.

If I canā€™t get them to breed true, I may look at letting an off shoot breed on off grid homestead land to become a kind of modern landrace breed. Oh gosh, My off-grid peeps would love that. Cute + productive! Win-winšŸ„°

Thoughts are welcome.
Do they look and sound like a line worth tending to?

Iā€™m new here btw. šŸ„° Is there another breed like these ones? If so, Iā€™ll just hone them in for what works for my little farm.
Either way, it will be funšŸŒ±.

Sorry, sheesh this was a looooong answer to a simple question. šŸ„°

Wish me luck!

Attachments

• C05CF75E-95BD-4AAE-8139-B25ED3BC69A1.jpeg
    C05CF75E-95BD-4AAE-8139-B25ED3BC69A1.jpeg
    687.4 KB · Views: 3
  • C66EBA2F-BD1B-4E7D-A3B1-8343D98914FA.jpeg
    C66EBA2F-BD1B-4E7D-A3B1-8343D98914FA.jpeg
    385.3 KB · Views: 2
  • B91F0BD8-6A6C-4721-9DB5-4B19135609FC.jpeg
    B91F0BD8-6A6C-4721-9DB5-4B19135609FC.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I was wondering what breed of chicken is your favorite one in your flock? By favorite I mean who is always looking for cuddles or just eager to see you, who lays eggs most consistently and who gets along with othersā€¦.
I want a diverse flock but I want my flock to be friendly. I see them more as pets and producers of eggs. So whoā€™s YOUR best breed ??
Thanks !
My Mille Fleurs are my favorites. I love them SO much!

Back
Top Bottom