What breed of chicken is this?

She is gorgeous. How old is she? Any ideas? That comb looks to be a modified pea comb, but I can't really tell.

Are you sure she is old enough to lay yet?

Also - looks to have a start of scaly leg mites. I suggest lubing her legs up with Vaseline. It will smother them :)

She is gorgeous. How old is she? Any ideas? That comb looks to be a modified pea comb, but I can't really tell.
Are you sure she is old enough to lay yet?
Also - looks to have a start of scaly leg mites. I suggest lubing her legs up with Vaseline. It will smother them
smile.png
I'm not certain of how old she is, the people I got her from said they got her last summer so about a year I guess. They said that they were laying eggs (but they weren't sure which ones were laying because they would just find eggs around the yard). I have had them for over a month, a weasel got 3 of them (*sob*) but I have since weasel-proofed the coop. They are free range during the day and are locked in the coop at night. They have not laid any eggs since I've had them but I'm sure the weasel trying to get in every night is stressing them out. They are happy during the day, scratching around the yard and having dust baths so I'm hoping they start laying once the weasel is gone....in any case I love them and just want them to be happy!!

How do I tell about the scaly leg mites? Should I treat all my birds? I don't want to stress them out if I don't have to!!

They are the long feathers just above the tail of a rooster. Hope I saw the picture wrong! :/
I was wondering about saddle feathers, too. That bird has some thick legs, but if she/he is truly a year old you should see spurs in a rooster. Her comb size could be genetic, environmental, molting, or she's not currently laying.

I was wondering about saddle feathers, too. That bird has some thick legs, but if she/he is truly a year old you should see spurs in a rooster. Her comb size could be genetic, environmental, molting, or she's not currently laying.

Well I guess time will tell? S/he is really skittish and acts like the other hens and the most dominant leghorn sometimes beats her/him up. Does this mean if s/he is a she her comb might get bigger when she starts laying? They were all really skinny and rough/dirty looking when I got them, could that have something to do with it? I've been trying to fatten them up with treats and stuff but not sure if that will make a difference? Sorry for all the dumb questions, I'm just learning!!!
hmm.png

Did you guys full size the image? She has rounded saddle feathers.

These are the names for the feathers usually used to determine gender. I'm showing this for the OP (Original poster) to see. Hens will have rounded feathers where roosters will have long pointy shiny feathers.

I think this is a mutt pullet, or a black sex link pullet (which is a mutt either way).

She's very striking. I think she is younger than a year, but just hasn't started laying yet. That's my guess :)

Well I guess time will tell? S/he is really skittish and acts like the other hens and the most dominant leghorn sometimes beats her/him up. Does this mean if s/he is a she her comb might get bigger when she starts laying? They were all really skinny and rough/dirty looking when I got them, could that have something to do with it? I've been trying to fatten them up with treats and stuff but not sure if that will make a difference? Sorry for all the dumb questions, I'm just learning!!! :/
She looks good now. I think her comb will get bigger once she starts to lay (or is close to it).

What kind of treats are you offering?

Back
Top Bottom