What breed of rooster?

Just wanted to add, if you wanted to use these for breeding as you say, why these birds? The lady doesn’t even know what breeds they are. I would personally start with some high quality birds from a reputable breeder.

Rose comb RIR are hard to come by if you don't search them out. It doesn't look like one to me and seems if that's what it was they would know it.
The other could be a hatchery RIR but it's awful light to even be hatchery stock. I'd guess it's more like a Production Red.

First rooster looks more like a Buckeye. His comb looks like modified pea to me.
Second rooster is a New Hampshire. Too light to be a RIR.
After looking up pictures of New Hampshires, it would seem as if you are right. Its just so frustrating. If you look up pics of RR Roosters, you get both ends of the spectrum: Dark Red feathers, and Rust feathers.

Assuming that it is a New Hampshire Rooster, then my next question would be, which breed is better for egg production? No one seems to know definitively between the two (RR or NH). There is a lot of conflicting information out there.

The darker one has a pea comb, look closely. its a buckeye rooster.... the second appears to be a RIR.
Buckeyes are a more mahogany color, where RIR are more red.
How does the egg production of a Buckeye compare to a RIR? Not worried about the Cold hardiness, as I live in the south.

Looks a bit dark for a NH but could be since its a hatchery bird.
A lot of Production Reds are a cross of RIR and NH.
I've had both that were hatchery birds. They were about the same production wise but I preferred the better natured NH.

How does the egg production of a Buckeye compare to a RIR? Not worried about the Cold hardiness, as I live in the south.
Since you said her husband got them from the feed store, I'd guess the one is a buckeye. they more common than the rose combed RIR.
Hatchery versions of the Buckeye lay more often than heritage; I'd say ours gave us an egg every other day or so.

After looking up pictures of New Hampshires, it would seem as if you are right. Its just so frustrating. If you look up pics of RR Roosters, you get both ends of the spectrum: Dark Red feathers, and Rust feathers.

Assuming that it is a New Hampshire Rooster, then my next question would be, which breed is better for egg production? No one seems to know definitively between the two (RR or NH). There is a lot of conflicting information out there.
I don't have both breeds, so I can't say for sure one is better then the other. Based on online information, it seems they would be about the same.

Back
Top Bottom