Kluggie

In the Brooder
Jul 3, 2019
Australia
Hi all

Recently we got a couple of chicks from a hatching program run out of my son's kindergarten. We have had them for about 2 months now and they are starting to get a bit bigger. I was hoping for some advice on what breed and if they are hens or roos. The website from the organisation that runs the hatching program says that their breeds are Australorp, New Hampshire Sussex, Black and White Leghorn, and Lohmanns. Assuming they're not australorps because they aren't black, but otherwise I'd love some advice from some more experienced chicken owners/breeders.

Pics attached.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_93fc.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_93e5.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_93e5.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_93f7.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_93f5.jpg

Many thanks
Kluggie

Last edited:
I have no clue what breeds these are, but I don’t have to be an expert to tell you that they are some beautiful birds! As for their genders, I would say a cockerel and a pullet however, I’m not 100% sure. The bird closest the camera look like a male due to the growth of waddles, while the chicken in the back (who looks like a female) has no waddles. If you would be able to take a picture from above them that would help a lot! Saddle feathers start coming in around 8 weeks old. Here is a picture of male and female saddle feathers.
4E018951-F1F4-401D-9C4C-5AE951F67636.jpeg

Hope his helps!

They won't have saddle feathers for about 4 more weeks at the earliest.

These are both red sex links... Cockerels.
Agreed. Additionally I'm not really aware of a "New Hampshire Sussex" breed but my guess would be a red sex link was created using light Sussex and new Hampshire red and you got two cockerel of this type

They won't have saddle feathers for about 4 more weeks at the earliest.

These are both red sex links... Cockerels.
Can I ask how you came to that conclusion? Is it because of colouring? I thought the one at the back might be a girl because no waddles and they hatched within hours of each other. Also could they be leghorns?

Last edited:
Can I ask how you came to that conclusion? Is it because of colouring? I thought the one at the back might be a girl because no waddles and they hatched within hours of each other. Also could they be leghorns?
With at red leakage on them, I’d say they were res sex links, which is a leghorn and red chicken cross.

Hi all

It has been a week since the original post and I thought I'd upload some new pictures to see if everyone is sticking to their guns or if an alternative view might be emerging.

let me know what you think!
Kluggie

Pic1.jpg
Pic2.jpg
Pic4b.jpg
Pic4c.jpg
Pic5f.jpg
Pic4a.jpg
Pic5c.jpg
Pic5d.jpg
Pic5b.jpg
Pic5a.jpg