What breed will you never have again? Me? It's...

I'm agreeing with those who are saying that it all depends on the line, though some could be their nature to a degree in that some birds may do well being raised with little or no handling and still be friendly, while birds from that same line get flighty and nervous from being handled a lot or 'hand raised' as some call it.

My RIRs were always very calm and friendly and wonderful to be around even the roosters, and I'm not a big believer of too much fussing when they're little. That always seems to set them up for panic mode too much. I like to be able to pick up my birds to check for problems and treat injuries or illnesses, but I don't fuss much over them otherwise. In fact I usually wait till they're on the roost and the coop is closed up to handle them much, they tend to calm back down quickly and get better used to handling and such that way.

I think if I got wacky birds of any breed, I'd just not get them from the same source next time if I really wanted some again.

SIlver Laced Wyandottes... mine have always been very skittish and unfriendly. THey are hard to catch and handle when necssary for treatments etc. I would also say EE's also are a crazy mixed lot. Most of mine were afraid of people and only two were lovey and friendly but I would have them again. The first hens I ever had were BA and they are my favorite. Can't wait for spring to get more babies...

For me it would be Sicilian Buttercups. Mine is a great forager, but flighty. She just a so-so chicken. She's not mean, but she's not personable either. Just not my cup of tea.

A few years ago, I said I would never again have a Delaware. The hatchery ones were mean and flighty. Had to be talked into it again and I never regretted it! You see my avatar, right? They are fabulous birds, from a reputable breeder of heritage Delawares. If you have a bad time with a bird, sometimes it's just an aggressive strain.

Someone mentioned Barred Rocks. I have never had a mean, feather picking BR, not ever, in all the ones I've had, both hatchery and generations-removed from the hatchery. In fact, they are my favorite chicken of all time! So, if you try a different strain or choose a breeder over hatchery stock,a different source, you may change your mind about what you say you'll never have.

I can't say I'll never again have another of any breed I've had. I will say I'll never even start with something, like Polish or Silkies. Ick.

I'm hesitant to have any more Wyandottes, SLW or GLW, because all four I've had died from internal laying, all from the same hatchery. I even sold two Wyandotte pullets before they could start up with issues. They were great girls, but it would be pretty sad for me to have them again.

Quote:
Those I've never had and never will.
wink.png

Cochins, I briefly had a frizzle cochin cockerel, he was EVIL! My SLW was a spastic freak.

The polish are hilarious. The silkies remind me of crazy little asian women (I come from a family of crazy little asian women). They seem sweet and easy going, until you get them mad and then Lord have mercy, they break out with some crazy ninja moves.

I honestly find that a huge percentage of all these dislikes on certain breeds are based solely on the personality of just one bird or a few birds.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom