MageofMist

Crowing
5 Years
Dec 9, 2016
Britain
Silkie? Polish? Serama? Sebright? Pekin? A bit of everything blended into one adorable tiny hen? :confused:
Tinny was sold to her previous owner as a generic bantam, and am trying to figure out what this strange little poofy bird is. Tinny is a year old.

20210915_172721.jpg
20210915_105254.jpg
20210915_103729.jpg
20210914_110251.jpg
20210914_113225.jpg

Tinny is definitely part silkie, but I feel there is some gamebird in her as well for her teensi size and odd colouration. I suspected Serama but someone brought up Sebrights as a possibility given her colouration, which also goes well with her funky comb.

Silkie? Polish? Serama? Sebright? Pekin? A bit of everything blended into one adorable tiny hen? :confused:
Tinny was sold to her previous owner as a generic bantam, and am trying to figure out what this strange little poofy bird is. Tinny is a year old.

View attachment 2834648View attachment 2834651View attachment 2834652View attachment 2834653View attachment 2834654

Tinny is definitely part silkie, but I feel there is some gamebird in her as well for her teensi size and odd colouration. I suspected Serama but someone brought up Sebrights as a possibility given her colouration, which also goes well with her funky comb.
How many toes? Feathered feet?

If she does not have feathered feet and she does not have 5 toes, she is not a silkie mix. Note that she is smooth feathered (which means she either has to be an F1 silkie mix or not a recent silkie mix at all).

How many toes? Feathered feet?

If she does not have feathered feet and she does not have 5 toes, she is not a silkie mix. Note that she is smooth feathered (which means she either has to be an F1 silkie mix or not a silkie mix at all.
I would guess polish mix then.

4 toes and no feathers on her feet, though her crest and temperment scream silkie to me as I previously raised and bred them. Polish mixes tend to be a bit larger and crazier in head poofage whilst Tinny is neat and slicked back like a non-bearded silkie.

I love her, she looks like a cartoon.

Tinny is certainly a bit of an odd one, especuially since she enjoys foot soaks.

4 toes and no feathers on her feet, though her crest and temperment scream silkie to me as I previously raised and bred them. Polish mixes tend to be a bit larger and crazier in head poofage whilst Tinny is neat and slicked back like a non-bearded silkie.

Tinny is certainly a bit of an odd one, especuially since she enjoys foot soaks.
Well, since you bred them, you may know that its genetically impossible that one of her parents was a silkie. Her parents cannot be direct silkie mixes either, genetically.

A friend pulled out the Quail Antwerp Bantam from the woodworks and I didn't even know such chooks existed. :eek:The comb, size and colourations look similar, though the crest and lack of extra poof means she isn't a purebred.
iu

Well, since you bred them, you may know that its genetically impossible that one of her parents was a silkie. Her parents cannot be direct silkie mixes either, genetically.
I wasn't saying she was an F1 Silkie and I have seen silkie mixes with 4 toes and smooth feathers before, though often with a beard and often dark face/skin. You also sometimes get silkies with 4 toes from pure silks as a genetic defect.
More on 4 toed pure silkies here

I can see the Burmese Bantam as a possibility. 😮
iu

Barbu de Watermael could also be a possibility. Her wings had been clipped by her previous home, so they are normally quite a bit longer. Thankfully she is undergoing a molt so she'll have her beautiful primaries back.
iu
She's definitely not pure for either, but those are the two she reminds me most of! :) I also know they're more common in Britain!

Back
Top Bottom