What breeds do you wish you had?

Pics
I go to the feed store, tell them what I want, they order it for me and call me when my babies have arrived. You can probably special order, too. Just ask for the person in charge of ordering poultry.

I don’t actually have a family owned or small feed store near me, I have tractor supply and family farm and home, at tsc you have the order 10 of one breed. And I do not like ordering birds, this year I ordered bantams and they screwed up my order, they gave me different breeds then what I ordered, didn’t send 2, and I would much rather go and pick out my chicks so I know what I’m getting.

They shouldn't, if you introduce them slowly.
I think you can go ahead and get those breeds.

Thanks for your encouragement! When my 2 older RIRs stop laying and become soup , I'll try that! I can only have a few since I have "illegal" chickens ;), I started with 3 RIRs two years ago and currently have 2 RIR, 2 SLW and 3 Barred Rock pullets.

Thanks for your encouragement! When my 2 older RIRs stop laying and become soup , I'll try that! I can only have a few since I have "illegal" chickens ;), I started with 3 RIRs two years ago and currently have 2 RIR, 2 SLW and 3 Barred Rock pullets.
Like an illegal rooster?

I want Jersey Giants. Im getting them either this fall or next spring.
I have Nankin bantams ... teeny tiny red birds chock-full of personality .. and until this past Spring, I thought I was content with them. Enter Siri - a fluffy little Kindergarten Dropout (leftover from their classroom hatch) that was supposed to be a black Australorp. She's not. She's a large ... VERY large Jersey Giant. At three months, she already tops the scale at five pounds ... and I'm in love! She is absolutely the most mellow, laid back, sweet-natured bird I've ever met. And her top-color is absolutely gorgeous. She's jet black with an iridescent sheen of beetle-green. I have a sinking feeling that, come next year ... I'm gonna need another coop!

Nope, live in a narrow minded suburb of Milwaukee, I have 1 acre, no chickens allowed. I just got them 2xueuHKdQhugtf6S5LrFMQ.jpg 58300325984__CC48C674-F462-4B18-947F-5E4DFC50654E.JPG because I always wanted them. They live in my enclosed garden. I built my own coop last summer after realizing a prefab coop was not going to work in Wisconsin, I've learned a lot!! Especially from the folks here:frow

In my fifty+ years of raising chickens I have had many different breeds. All have their own unique personalities and there are none that I dislike. Lately as I near retirement age, I find myself wanting to get something more exotic like Aseels, Liege Fighters or Jungle Fowl. Or picking a couple of breeds that are endangered and do my part on ensuring their future.
That's why I have Nankins. I love their personalities, but I also love the fact that I'm helping to save the breed. It's pretty cool!

Back
Top Bottom