What breeds lay pink eggs?

New hampshire reds from meyer hatchery lays pink/ purple eggs
Lets see!
big_smile.png

I am really wanting to start a flock that lays a large variety of colors. What are some good breeds that lay a true pink egg?
My "black" silver laced Wyandotte lays a pink egg. Shocked me to see it when gathering eggs from amongst my Orpingtons, RI Reds, and Ameraucanas. My cochins lay a very light "cream/off white" egg. Good luck. My mallard ducks lay a blue-greenish, waxed (slightly buffed shiny looking) egg.

Seems one of my new easters gives me pink eggs too.

WI6hFdv.jpg
That is an amazing PINK! WOW! I have 5 Americaunas hatched this year. They have just started laying. Come to find out, it seems, that I was snookered. I have an Easter Egger in the bunch, and honestly couldn't tell you which one it is. It's laying a pinkish beige egg...nothing like the one you have there! Totally awesome! Another one is laying a blue-green egg. My Americaunas from last year lay powder blue eggs. Waiting to see what the other three lay.

That is an amazing PINK! WOW! I have 5 Americaunas hatched this year. They have just started laying. Come to find out, it seems, that I was snookered. I have an Easter Egger in the bunch, and honestly couldn't tell you which one it is. It's laying a pinkish beige egg...nothing like the one you have there! Totally awesome! Another one is laying a blue-green egg. My Americaunas from last year lay powder blue eggs. Waiting to see what the other three lay.

Yeah I was amazed how pink they are. It seems what causes the color is a "whitish" layer on top of a light brown shell. If I wet the egg I can see it's spotted brown under that layer. The hens first few eggs were more "cream" looking. But they pinked up fast.

Yeah I was amazed how pink they are. It seems what causes the color is a "whitish" layer on top of a light brown shell. If I wet the egg I can see it's spotted brown under that layer. The hens first few eggs were more "cream" looking. But they pinked up fast.
Hmmmm....Funny you should mention that "white layer over...". I have a Polish over Buff Orpington hen that lays eggs with a white coating. They are darker beige at one end, and fade to a noticably pale beige at the other end. And the pink eggs I am getting, a light pink compared to yours, are actually from my buff Orpington, not my Wyandotte. Coyotes came through during the day about three weeks ago, and annihilated my chickens from last year. I only have the one "brown" egg chicken in that bunch now, and two Americaunas. Makes it easy to tell who's laying what.

Hmmmm....Funny you should mention that "white layer over...". I have a Polish over Buff Orpington hen that lays eggs with a white coating. They are darker beige at one end, and fade to a noticably pale beige at the other end. And the pink eggs I am getting, a light pink compared to yours, are actually from my buff Orpington, not my Wyandotte. Coyotes came through during the day about three weeks ago, and annihilated my chickens from last year. I only have the one "brown" egg chicken in that bunch now, and two Americaunas. Makes it easy to tell who's laying what.
That's interesting how the eggs get light as you look down their ends

Back
Top Bottom