What came out of my chicken?!?!

Some glitch won't let me edit the other post to add these articles for you:
https://www.nature.com/nrc/journal/v13/n6/full/nrc3535.html?foxtrotcallback=true

https://reeis.usda.gov/web/crisproj...in-aging-and-aged-commercial-laying-hens.html

Oh, the crusty stuff you mentioned after the prolapse could have been poop/urates/yolk that trickled over the prolapse and crusted on it. I had that happen with an old EE hen not long ago. It was like a molded piece of stuff on top of the prolapse and I had to soak her to get it off, not gleet at all. She prolapsed because her large eggs had lost shell integrity and were collapsing in the tract, so she was straining to expel them.

Adding that lash eggs have nothing to do with calcium, or lack thereof. I do sympathize with you on this one, having gone through horrors with so many other hens. Just when you think you've seen it all, something new happens. Take care.

Thank you Speckledhen! This is very helpful. The gleet was my thought because of the smell and discharge, but not sure. The prolapse was so bad it took about 10 days of soaking/treating until the funk came off. This was right after we had gone out of town. I had a knowledgeable chicken keeper watching them but she's thought my hen had gone broody, when she was not feeling good and hiding in the nest box.

I am not totally sure what kind of hatchery she came from as I got her from a backyard chicken person, but he had so many birds and had them on monthly antibiotic regiment that I bet she came from a discount type hatchery. She was my first bird so I didn't know any of the red flags to be aware of. The other girl that I got with her died immediately (she had one eye and I think it was a coccidia overload from her weakened immune system).

And yes right before the lash she laid a full egg inside a sac like you described. Unlike my other birds she does kind of show when she is not feeling well as she stays in her nest. So we shall see. Her mood seems good and she does not appear to be in any pain. I will definitely be here to support her in whatever way she needs. My condolences to you and your girls that have suffered with this! I have only had chickens for almost 2 years. Absolutely one of the most amazing and also hardest things I have taken on.

Try putting the yugurt in a small amount of oatmeal or..... Soak some regular pellets in water 1/4 cup of pellets and 1/4 cup water should turn them soft and mushy. It is a good substance to mix the meds into.

I totally know what you mean. They are so hard to figure out and by the time symptoms show every second seems critical.

It may be that she is done laying for the winter and clears up easily.

Best wishes for her healing quickly.

I wonder if she could sprinkle probiotics onto the feed? I do both with my dogs - they get probiotics and yogurt.

Hi, hows your chicken? Is she laying? if she did, are the eggs normal?

Thank you so much for checking in!! She laid a normal egg Sunday and skipped yesterday. She still seems spunky. I am giving extra probiotics right now and haven't seen any other weird things in the yard. Fingers crossed it was a hiccup. So far no other signs. I am keeping a close eye on her tho :eek:

Ok all.. so I have been glued to the internet tonight researching internal laying, eyp, etc. There was a shelless egg this evening and it almost seems like miss Millie is constipated? She fluffed up and then pooped a tiny bit. I can't feel an egg or mass in her. She again has crust around her feathers by her vent. Which stink but look like chicken poo.. not like the other yellow watery discharge. OK I literally just had an OMG duh moment. I'm the past month I switched their waterer to a bucket nipple system. Could she just not be getting enough water? She doesn't seem dehydrated but I know most vitamins/minerals need our body to have water in order to process them correctly. Or it almost seems like she has an inflammation ... she just seems uncomfortable like things are not quite right. She is still eating and her mood is fine. (I have had other girls go down hill fast and she is stable, just kind of uncomfortable). I will try putting their old waterer in there for the morning. Am I crazy? Could that be messing her up?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom