What can break through chicken wire?

"Everything except Chickens".

Sorry. I actually have better luck with snow fencing or bird netting, its cheaper and doesn't rust. NONE are good predater deterrents (except bird netting is also pretty good at keeping snakes out and as "roofing"). In the ground, you want real metal as a skirt. not galvanized threads. Hardware cloth, chain link fencing, etc.

I have chicken wire underneath my coop to stop predators from breaking in. I just read somewhere that something much stronger is required, like heavy gauge pig wire.

The biggest threat around here are foxes and raccoons. Would they be able to dig under and break through chicken wire?

I don't live in bear country so I can't imagine what could penetrate that wire.
What is "heavy gauge pig wire"?
And FWIW mini pigs will run through chicken wire like it's a wet paper towel.

Absolutely they can chew threw and tear chicken wire. The only thing chicken wire can really keep out or in are.................................................CHICKENS.

Most use 1/2" square galvanized, welded, wire cloth that looks like the following. It can be found at Lowes and Home Depot along with hardware stores, even Amazon carries it.
Walmart online...they have good prices for hardware cloth .I've bought (3) rolls this year and looking to buy another one soon.

Sorry. I actually have better luck with snow fencing or bird netting, its cheaper and doesn't rust. NONE are good predater deterrents (except bird netting is also pretty good at keeping snakes out and as "roofing"). In the ground, you want real metal as a skirt. not galvanized threads. Hardware cloth, chain link fencing, etc.
I 2nd that!

I've been considering using a piece of metal for an apron on the back side on a run I made. Its closer to the woods here and the darkest spot in the yard.I used a sheet on the back of the coop for the same reason. It also protects the wood.

I just made it up
This is Hog Wire. I do not know that it will keep a hog out that wants in but it has been around a very long time.

Attachments

• hog wire.jpg
    hog wire.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom