What can I do to stop a hen bully?

Woodysgirl29

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 16, 2012
New Hampshire
I have 6 hens we recently lost our rooster to wry neck. Ever since one of our Easter eggers has been brutally going after one of the silkies. The silkie is what I call our dumb blonde she is easy going and has no idea what is going on never starts trouble and is often left behind while foraging. I thought it was new pecking order but it is unending and severe. The EE pecked her till she was bleeding on the back of her neck so had to come in to the house for a couple days.

I finally returned her to the coop at night so she could join quietly. The next day after work I went to check and her neck had a huge gaping wound. In the house for 2 weeks this time when I put her back out I kept her in a dog kennel for 24 hours. Let her out and the EE went for her big time so I shoved the EE into the kennel for 24 hours but it is cold here and the night temps kept me from doing it longer.

The EE seems OK until I walk out to check on them or feed them the minute she sees me she goes after the silkie brutally. I like the silkie more but I don't want to have to get rid of the EE. I don't know what to do I am afraid to go out and start trouble for Pru(silkie) but I am also afraid to not check on her.

How to I end the bullying?

I will give it a whirl. Not to sound to whiny but I wish it were happening in warm weather this time of year the only place to keep one separate is in the house.

Hens will do this in the absence of a rooster. I have a bossy hen and we keep her because she is so sweet with kids however she never pecks and if she did I would find her a new home immediately. A mean hen causes stress in the while flock so, if a time out doesn't help, don't feel bad for her because no matter how nasty she is in this flock she will be the same in another circumstance.

Last edited:
UPDATE:
Well I kept her (the bully EE) separate for 1 week and put her back in the coop last night after dark. I heard the best time to add a chicken in was at night when everyone is roosting for the night. When I got home today the poor white silkie had a new gaping wound where her feathers were just starting to regrow. I do hate to get rid of her(the EE) she is great with my son and I but we have found her a new home to try out and if that doesn't work they will likely cull her.

I'm pretty new to all this stuff but have already had to deal with several bullying issues. It may seem a bit harsh but this worked well for me. I have taken aggresive hens or roo's and simply put a nylon tie around each leg (not to tight but tight enough it doesn't ride up) then used a third nylon tie to hobble their two legs together. This limits their ability to run after and chase other hens yet does leave them mobile for normal functions. They simply can't run fast. I leave them with the rest of the flock when I do this and usually after 24 hours I can remove the bindings and the birds attitude seems really changed after that. I guess it's a rather humbling experience for them and so far has cured many of my problems with bullying.

Back
Top Bottom