What can I do?

Sorry you lost your favorite chicken!
hugs.gif
Hang in there!

Thanks redsoxs! I'm still very upset but i've managed to hold myself together and not cry. I have decided to put fresh flowers on her grave every two weeks as a tribute to her! I am still feeling as if she should be in the coop with the other chickens instead of being not here. I still feel like if everything is not worth anything, i don't care about everything else except my chicken not being with me anymore and what my other chickens are feeling and thinking. I don't how or if i should comfort them and I don't know anymore to comfort myself. But still, thanks redsoxs!
roll.png
i'm still trying not to
hit.gif

so very sorry to hear your news. I am new to chicken keeping but already so fond of my girls. Hope the rest of your girls are doing well. hugs xx

Thanks everyone for your comfort but I still don't feel any better
hit.gif
I suppose you might want to hear the whole story .............................
My Dad, Stepmother and I moved house earlier this year and my stepmother said I wasn't allowed to take all my chickens. I had to choose three out of my five girls and that was heart breaking. My Dad didn't say or do anything about it. So I took three and set up a run in our new home( My other 2 girls went to the next door neighbours to stay there for a few months so we could make more room for them). Then while I was switching from my mothers house to my dad's house (I live with my mother and go visit my father) and while I was at my mother's My mother received a call on the 13 of july that my black chicken Daffodil died. She told me to call my father the next morning as something bad had happened. I immediately knew what had happened. I cried and cried and cried. Why did she leave me? She was always escaping but this time she got caught in the dog guard that prevents the dog from getting in. As this was the first time I had chickens and the first time one of them died. I was heart broken and now whenever I go into the coop I strangely find a new black feather in the hen house which none of my girls produced. I immediately demanded that I should bring my chickens from the old next door neighbours home to our new one. I wanted to have my four brave girls together again as I felt that they should of never separated nor i from them. But my stepmother just said, oh no we've already given them permanently to our old next door neighbours. Why don't we get some little chicks instead? I flew into a terrible rage saying " How dare you give away someone else's chickens?" Afterwards i thought that I could never stop sobbing after my chicken died, I couldn't bring my others home after deserting them and how dare she? I've never felt the same after the day one of the bright little suns that made their way into my heart die. So Rest in Peace my little Darling, Rest in Peace.
hit.gif

How are you feeling today? I just read your post and you seem so sad and lonely,can you talk to someone? The death of a beloved pet is heartbreaking. I know you feel like this pain will never go away,but i promise you that it will,in time you will be able to think of Daffodil and your heart will not feel like it is breaking and that you cannot stop crying. Save all those little black feathers you find,perhaps they are a gift from her and she is letting you know she is ok and happy,and that you should not worry about her. I agree with you,not being able to bring all you girls must have been horrible and to have to choose only 3,extremely heartbreaking. Was there a reason for not being able to take all 5,and have you told your parents that you are having difficulties coping with the decision they made? I also agree that your girls should not have been given away without your permission,this was wrong. You sound like a very loving and caring child,do not become so very depressed over this that you cannot deal with it,please talk to someone if you are having difficulties. Give all your girls a kiss and a hug,they all know you love them,including Daffodil. Placing flowers on her grave is a lovely idea. Please do not let this take over your life,this unfortunately does happen,and i know it does not comfort you. For every death there is a birth,perhaps in time you may want to get another black chick,you will love her just as much as you do Daffodil.
Take care and remember if you need to talk,someone is always on this forum,and we will talk to you.

I lost a beautiful bantam cochin a few days after I got her, it was awful and I cried. I think stress from being shipped did it.

I'm sorry about your loss :( I have a sick one now and if she doesn't make it, I'll cry again. I'm a baby.

Hang in there. Over time you will feel better, even though right now it feels like the world is coming to an end. It wasn't fair to give your animals away without your permission no matter how old you are. If you are in school right now you could go talk to your guidance counselor and maybe he or she could give you some grieving skills to help you with your loss. If not you should talk to your dad and let him know that you are hurting over your loss and it may help if you had someone to talk to. You need to continue with your grieving on your own by placing the flowers on her grave and collecting the feathers like tenchicks said. That was a great idea. Those feathers will last forever, just as you will remember her forever. Time will help, you will,not forget. You will have others that will be special and they will help you to heal. As my mom always says to me...this too shall pass. Keeping you in my thoughts..
2764.png

Thanks Guys. That helps a lot knowing someone will help me. I lost pets before but it is just that these are my first chickens so its a lot harder. I love animals and its so hard for me to let them go. Still feeling sad, feel like she should still be with me. I hope I am not being too selfish though. I feel like my other chickens will never know that one of their best friends is gone. And the others look so unhappy. Their coop looks so lonely without her standing on top or rushing to the gate when you come in. I feel this aching sense of loss like a lot of other people go through too I should imagine. I'm a baby too schnebbles as I cried and cried and cried. I hope that my thanks and gratitude to you all especially to you schnebbles, ten chicks and Christie22701 for your comforting,kind and wise words. I hope my thanks is enough.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom