What Chicken Breeds do you Dislike & Why?

Pics
I like most breeds of chickens. That said, I can't stand Silkies. Honestly, if I wanted to mop the floor, I'd buy a mop. Why would I want a pet that mops the floor with their "feathers", then gets all dirty and gross? Speaking of feathers....One of things that appeals to me about chickens is their sleek, beautiful, shiny feathers. Silkies have none of that. They remind me of those hairy rat-dogs that people carry in their purse!

Oh... and Naked Necks. They creep me out, because they look like they have the mange (or the bird equivalent of the mange).

Good thing that they haven't invented a cross between the two......
....looks at RinaRoo's post....
... awww CRAP.

I apologize to all Silkie & Naked-neck lovers, I know I just totally dissed your breed, but I guess that was what the thread is about...dissing breeds! ;)

My Rhode Island Red is the best pet of them all!! she not only lays consistently, but she is a real conversationalist, keeping up a running sentence the whole while I'm with her. She demands the attention and is so cute when she runs to me when I call - I can just imagine a heavyset farm maid holding up her skirts to run!! My Leghorn is the leader of the pack but so kind to her humans - and she loves to be petted and picked up. Now my Araucana - She is the offish one and of the three, puts out the prettiest blue/green eggs, but has quit laying as of late. She is 4 years like the other two. I really don't have any I dislike!!

I’ve never been a fan of Rhode Island Reds or Plymouth Rocks as they seem overly common. I’m not a fan of Polish, I do like crested birds but the Polish crest is just too big for my liking. I don’t like the fifth toe on chickens. I don’t know why I just don’t like the look of the fifth toe. :confused: What breeds or chicken characteristics do you guys dislike?
Wyandottes. Silver Laced. Red Blue Laced. Golden Laced. They're beauriful, but mean to the other birds .Skittish. Just unpleasant girl2.

Leghorns = too flighty.
Polish = totally bizarre, they can't see and they act deranged.
Naked necks = look like a half plucked chicken and it disturbs me.
Silkie = i love them they are so sweet, but they are dimwitted and high maintenance and I am the opposite of high maintenance.... So now I'm stuck with them.
And yeah all those super creepy chicken creatures above! :D

I had 1 RIR hen and she would lay nice extra large eggs that were brown with dark brown speckles. I have 3 Moldovian hens and their eggs are usually extra large to Jumbo sized white eggs. One of my Moldovian hens lays eggs that are 74 to 75 grams. Those are duck egg sized eggs. It just all depends upon your personal preferences( or experience has been) as far as to which chicken breeds you prefer.

There are breeds that don't fit the bill for what I want in chickens, but there's just one breed I truly DISLIKE and that's the Norwegian Jærhøne.

They're skittish and flighty, but what really drives me bonkers is the sound. Constant, neverending, nervewrecking cackling that makes me want to pierce my ear drums. It's the hens that are the culprits, the roo's are fine. What some refer to as "egg song", these girls take to a whole another level. It's not as much song as experimental jazz mixed with heavy metal screaming and a dash of opera. And as every good jazz player, their "melody" lasts for hours.

I had the misfortune of owning a few years back, and came across them again as the petting zoo I work in got some, so I can confirm it's a breed thing.

Like many there isn't a breed I dislike. Most of the traits that people dislike are attributes that humans gave bred into them. So I dislike humans! Lol jk! I have a mixed flock and I find my Brahmas are the hardest work for least return. I always have one or another in a broody breaker. It drives me crazy. They are sweet hens though. I also have white leghorns. I can't get near any of them but they are by far my best layers and have been the healthiest, trouble free chickens I have ever had. My English araucanas have the best temperament and are good layers. I must say though that naked necks look creepy and I don't think I'd want any game type bird. That's through lack of knowledge more than anything though.

I’ve never been a fan of Rhode Island Reds or Plymouth Rocks as they seem overly common. I’m not a fan of Polish, I do like crested birds but the Polish crest is just too big for my liking. I don’t like the fifth toe on chickens. I don’t know why I just don’t like the look of the fifth toe. :confused: What breeds or chicken characteristics do you guys dislike?

My favorite is silkies because they are so docile and make great pets. They are not good layers but that is OK with me. I had feather footed bantams and they were not mean like regular ones. I had a little hen that I could reach down and pick up and she gave me some babies. I had RIR and they are too aggressive (even the hens), and so was the black sex rooster.

Back
Top Bottom