What Chicken Breeds do you Dislike & Why?

Pics
I don’t particularly care for Malays, Shamos, or Aseels/Asils. Their build is too bulky and sparsely feathered for my liking.

I would call their built 'compact' and Aseels are not particularly sparsely feathered either.

IMG_1525965824198.jpg

I know nothing of these breeds. Haven't had one, nor have I researched.

Hubby tried to show me seabrights, and they are pretty, but after researching them, nope.

Silkies make me laugh at their appearance. Naked necks and showgirls make me cringe looking at them.

Polish also make me laugh at the (fro) I do have one, and she's sweet, but not smart. I don't care for my CCL. She's way too aloof and doesn't care for people. Same with my Marans I love her look, however, also aloof and doesn't care for people. These two are the only ones who have to be chased back into the run. All the others come running behind me to get their treats.

My most personable ones are new hens to me. I didn't raise them at all. They were a year and a half when I got them 2 months back. They're regular layers, enjoy being around me follow me around, and are mutts. One is Australorp/Cochin, and the other is Barred Rock/Cochin.
My EE roo, seems to be Ameracuana/Marans is sweet, and doesn't crow all day long or too loudly.

All my hatchery chicks died, so can't comment on their breeds. Two my dog killed upon escape of the run, and 2 died as failure to thrive, or being born with Chronic Respiratory issue. They were Wyandotte and Orpington.

I'm awaiting the arrival of my Araucanas. I love the idea of them, but time will tell if I like the breed or not.

My Polish got a brain injury after bumble foot, so crested breeds won't be in my future.

Of the three Asian (game birds you mentioned) I only have experience with Aseels. I can say from my experience that they like to hang around people, you can hold and pet them all you want. They have great personality and they make wonderful pets, hens are the best mothers in the chicken world. However you can't keep the Rooster in the company of other roosters. If you do you will find feathers flying everywhere and soon you will have only one rooster.

BTW what is CCL???

I don't dislike any breed and so far have only had leghorn, Morans, del's, RIWs and BH. Also a Silver Spangled Hamburg (free rare chick) and the crosses he produced. I now focus on the RIWs and BH birds. The crosses have started to go broody which is a new experience for me. I have four chicks that they are mothering well, another new experience for me. So who knows, they might get to stay a lot longer.

I have
I don't dislike any breed and so far have only had leghorn, Morans, del's, RIWs and BH. Also a Silver Spangled Hamburg (free rare chick) and the crosses he produced. I now focus on the RIWs and BH birds. The crosses have started to go broody which is a new experience for me. I have four chicks that they are mothering well, another new experience for me. So who knows, they might get to stay a lot longer.

I have a lots of barnyard mutts, they tend to be more broody than the standard breeds. But that can be only me.

Btw what is a BH?

Last edited:

Thank you so much. Never heard of this breed before. Sounds like a great breed. But unfortunately there is a greater demand for brown eggs in India. Anyway given their status I doubt I will find them here. However even if I find them I doubt I will be able to keep them. I already have a lot many Barred Rocks and Dominique chickens and their countless mutts. My helpers already have hard time identifying them. They will abandon me if I add another barred breed breed.:D

I wouldn’t know about all that ... I traded them to an old guy for a dozen watermelons once they got too big.

Not sure what happened, but when I went to visitation at the funeral parlor there was some implication that the old guy tried to teach one of them cockerels to behave and the whole bunch of them got him down...

....I didn’t stay to hear all the details, just paid my respects and went home and had some melon.

I see his widow at the grocery store once in a while still and she always thanks me, apparently after 30 years of marriage to the old guy, she’d had enough.

I always make it a point to tell her what fine melons those were though ;)
:eek::lau:gig
You sure sound like a fun guy to have around. Love you a bunch.:goodpost:

Back
Top Bottom