What Chicken Breeds do you Dislike & Why?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Brahma Chicken5000, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Kabootar

Kabootar Songster

Aug 15, 2017
    Bihar India
    Now please someone do me a favour and tell me what is a 'SF'?

rjohns39 and Trimurtisan like this.
  2. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Araucana Addict

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Swedish Flower Hen or Salmon Faverolles.

3. Kabootar

Kabootar Songster

Aug 15, 2017
    Bihar India
    View attachment 1886575
    That's why I keep my boys indoor. The Aseels make great pets and are not mean to people. I keep a group of females (8 of them) with rest of the flock and they all are high in the pecking order. Even my mean RIR Rooster leaves them alone after he got a good "disciplining action" from them for pecking on their chicks.

rjohns39 likes this.
  4. Kabootar

Kabootar Songster

Aug 15, 2017
    Bihar India
    Thank you so much, these abbreviations always get me off-guard. I wonder why people got so lazy?

5. Kabootar

Kabootar Songster

Aug 15, 2017
    Bihar India
    You mean these birds??? FB_IMG_1525966701832.jpg

Alo and rjohns39 like this.
  6. Kabootar

Kabootar Songster

Aug 15, 2017
    Bihar India
    I don't care much about my leghorn hens being skittish and the Roose being nervous wreck, because I want them to perform their duties, that is to lay eggs and mate. The cockerels are a different story, they give me hard time when I caponize them and the capons are only slightly plump than their parents. But I eat them anyway I don't like freeloaders on my farm.

7. ChemicalchiCkns

ChemicalchiCkns Songster

Oct 27, 2012
    I'm told Asel Cocks are good with humans and defencive of Hens. I would like that, but I would like to have maybe more than one Cock. So I am unlikely to have an Asel.

8. BarredRockMom

BarredRockMom Songster

Jun 9, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Your birds are so handsome & it's nice that you feel like your Grandfather is with you. One of the things that I loved best about Hawai'i was all of the chickens running around! Imagine my delight at the Maui airport watching chickens walk wherever they wanted! And to see them again all over Kauai...well it was fantastic! The islands are a paradise, sure, but chickens EVERYWHERE is what makes it heavenly!

A little hen & her rooster befriended us while we were there & part of me wanted to tuck them into a doggie travel bag & take them home the other, sanep partof me asked "why take a chicken from Heaven?"

Alo and Trimurtisan like this.
  9. A.M. Eggs

A.M. Eggs Songster

Jan 7, 2018
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Ugh I extremely dislike any kind of leghorn other than the Red variety. Brown and Pearl are way too flighty and Silver is in the middle, but my Reds are super sweet and love attention. (this is based off personal experience)

Any kind of pure white I would rather not own due to them looking pretty until they get dirty. Where I live, any kind of white chicken will turn red due to the soil. I have 4 mostly white chickens and the two older ones are so dirty; the younger ones are still clean. They are also very easy for predators to spot. If I had a choice when I got them, I would not have picked them out. (I will admit that I love how shiny white chickens are and I really wish I could have some)

Trimurtisan and ChickNanny13 like this.
  10. Speddy13

Speddy13 Hatching

Aug 24, 2019
    My 2 meanest breeds are barred rocks and silver lace wyandottes. I don't think I'll ever get more.

Trimurtisan likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: