What chicken breeds should I get??

I seem to be the only big Buff Orpington fan around here! I’ve had them for 20 years, often with Wyandotte’s and other breeds of similar types. As we live in Maine and get cold winters, I like their size and wonderful ability to do so well through the long, cold season.

unlike other breeds, they aren’t often too harsh with one another, something I appreciate as I’ve had other breeds just tear at each other. And they lay perfect extra-large deep brown eggs which my egg customers love. If I had the room and time, I would keep a large house of them for an organic egg business as I have yet to find a better egg breed.

I seem to be the only big Buff Orpington fan around here! I’ve had them for 20 years, often with Wyandotte’s and other breeds of similar types. As we live in Maine and get cold winters, I like their size and wonderful ability to do so well through the long, cold season.

We love them, too! We've only had one, but she's sweet, mellow, a consistent layer, and heat tolerant.

Sapphire Gems and Production Blues are quickly becoming a fav for me. They are very friendly, calm, smart, lay lots of large eggs, can begin lay pretty early, and are beautiful! The gems come in different flavors. Like blue, splash, and olive egger. I have 2 SG & 2 PB. If I had to choose a flock of just one breed, I would choose one of those breeds.

EE's are great
silkies are hard to sex
Golden/black sexlinks are great too
Sebrights

Attachments

• Resized_20200813_101109(1).jpeg
    Resized_20200813_101109(1).jpeg
    447.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 20200731_171615.jpg
    20200731_171615.jpg
    839.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 20200731_171717.jpg
    20200731_171717.jpg
    843.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 20200727_201213.jpg
    20200727_201213.jpg
    783.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200702_151329.jpg
    20200702_151329.jpg
    390.7 KB · Views: 0
Hello everyone! I am in my first year of raising chickens, but I'm loving it and have some serious chicken math. I keep getting a couple new chicks every once in a while and I want to get a more substantial number (5-10) next time I buy. I've been getting chicks from Orscheln's, Murray McMurray, Meyer Hatchery, and a local hatchery (Heartland). I was wondering what chickens y'all would recommend me getting next! I currently have a bantam cochin, a barred rock, a blue copper maran, a brown leghorn, a buff orpington, a production red, and a silver laced wyandotte (7 in total). What breeds should I get next? I only have one bantam, so I want to get more but I can't find a hatchery that will sex them! Also, my chickens are pets with benefits, so I'm not interested in meat birds. Thanks!!!!!
I vote Black Australorp - gorgeous, sweet-tempered, good layers.

I haven’t seen anyone mention Cream Legbars. I would recommend getting a couple of these. They are autosexed, have beautiful coloring and a cute crest. They lay gorgeous blue-green eggs too! Buff Orpingtons are great, the only issue we have ever had with them is their fluffy butts keep getting matted with poop. I think this is because they are so fluffy in that area, we don’t have that issue with any of our other chickens. Lots of chicken baths!

unlike other breeds, they aren’t often too harsh with one another, something I appreciate as I’ve had other breeds just tear at each other. And they lay perfect extra-large deep brown eggs which my egg customers love. If I had the room and time, I would keep a large house of them for an organic egg business as I have yet to find a better egg breed.
They are my favorite large breed. I always keep a few in my mixed flocks. Around twenty years ago, I did have a flock of two dozen BO hens and two roosters and they were lovely to look at. But nothing can match my love for bantams as that goes back about 55 years.

I like a lot of different breeds, but I usually go with the least expensive ones! i usually get 17 week old pullets from the local hatchery. Saves a lot of time and no need for more expensive chick feed. They start laying in a few weeks. $9 each.

Brown Egg Layers
A hybrid cross between a White Rock female and Rhode Island Red male, this bird can sustain egg production peaks of over 90% for months.

really is a great price. Nothing fancy, but excellent layers and gentle.

Back
Top Bottom