What coloring is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChickNmamma, Dec 20, 2012.

1. ChickNmamma

ChickNmamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello there,

Very new to this forum.. I found it because I had a question to ask about a bird I purchased from McMurray Hatchery labeled "Bantam Americauna". I have since learned it is probably an Easter Egger.. only it doesn't look ANYTYHING like my other EEs. I purchased 3 bantams, got 2, both are roosters - and neither one has any muffs and they didn't look anything like the bigger EEs when they were babies.

I gave one to my mother, the one that was almost solid white as a baby with a few black penciling marks - grew up to be totally white with grey flecks so I called him Xerox. After I gave him to my mother, she took him back to New Mexico - brought him to a fair and the judge said he was a Lemon Blue Splash Bantam OEG... which she said is very rare.

The other one I kept - he is very handsome, and after a serious discussion as to who was boss he respects me when I go in.

I would like to find out if there is another color of OEG that matches his - or if there isn't - what genetic makeup would make this coloration and what offspring he might create. I find it very beautiful.

[​IMG]

His tail is blending a bit with the Sumatra hen behind him.. but it is black.

2. TallChickMagnet

TallChickMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2012
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Buff... [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  3. kitmarlowescot2

kitmarlowescot2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    I don't know much about bantam breeds, but he is cute. Does he have a little squeaky crow as well ?

4. ChickNmamma

Not really squeaky, it is higher than the other roos... but nowhere near as high as my banty OEG who is about half his size again [​IMG]

5. Vcomb

Vcomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    South Dakota
    My Coop
    He's an easter egger, so was the other one. Easter Eggers don't have to have a muff and beard to be an Easter Egger.

6. ChickNmamma

Thank you, that is what I suspected. I had never seen this coloration or his brother's before - anywhere. Since I don't know anybody who raises OEG except my mother (she raises silver and gold duckwing) I thought I would ask here. She called him "Pumpkin" but I couldn't find any reference to this color. Do you think that that he carries the blue egg gene that makes him an EE instead of just a bantam cross? He does have green legs but not the fluffy face.

Since there is no "name" for most of the colors of EEs, then the only questions left are: what makes this color combination (genetics) - and how can I make some more? I sure like his colors!

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Pumpkin is a game colour, and there is a ton of variation in game colouring,

He is a very odd mix with the red body and silver hackles!

My guesses on genotype is E^Wh (wheaten) base, S/s+ (golden) ground, Db to get the black tail, possibly Co to remove black from the body, but Db might be enough, and Mh to get a red rather than silver body.

This thread really belongs in the Breeds, Genetics & Showing section. You would get more knowledgeable responses.

8. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    he has the wrong comb to be an oegb

9. kitmarlowescot2

kitmarlowescot2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Well, he is a pretty rooster, no matter if he is a oegb mix or not. How is his personality with you, and his hens, or his brother's personality with people and if your mother has him with a flock ? Maybe though you will get some pretty little hens with that pumpkin color as well.

10. ChickNmamma

He is a good boy with me now - respects me. We only had one discussion.. and he watches me but doesn't try anything. He is good with the hens, and is in a pen with 4 other roosters... he is second-in-command.

I sure hope he will give me some pumpkin colored hens - its a beautiful color. However, it may be a male color.... The girls are 2 Porcelean d'Uccles, 1 Mille Fleur d'Uccle, 1 Partridge Wyandotte Bantam, 2 Phoenixes, 1 Light Brahma Bantam, 1 Blue Silkie and a Summatra.

The Blue Silkie has just hatched out three babies. One looks like her, one looks like a possible Summatra x Porcelean d'Uccle cross, and the last one is chipmunk - so maybe his.
    [​IMG]
    Left is probably Porcelean d'Uccle x Summatra, Right looks like Blue Silkie - no clue yet as to who dad is.

[​IMG]
    This one is chipmunk - just hatched in the last hour - might be Light Brahma Bantam x Eagle

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by