What culinary herbs will you add to your 2018 garden?

Peckadoodle

Songster
Nov 11, 2017
Time to start planning for next spring's garden. While tucking those plants that must be protected into the greenhouse, I realized that a couple of delicate herbs have been growing around here for years. So, am interested in what herbs you grow, which ones you grow for your chickens, and your planned new additions for 2018. I love cooking with fresh herbs!

The first of my protected herbs is the Lemon Grass (Indian variety). Couldn't live without it as a seasoning and for tea. My sample is about 4 feet tall and looks so pretty in the greenhouse.

Another herb that I bring in is Elfin Thyme. It probably would be fine outdoors, but it always looks so pretty at this time of year that I just have to take it in.

Most of the other herbs should be fine. The bed of oregano is tough as nails and grown primarily for the chickies. The sage, chives and garlic chives don't freeze here in Texas. The parsley always goes to seed and pops up everywhere in the spring. The pineapple sage has survived winters here, but I did take a cutting just in case. Most of the other herbs will be easily restarted from seed after the last frost. I am sure I have forgotten a few.

The garlic, elephant garlic, multiplying onions, and shallots are doing fine. Will be cooking with those all winter.

Got any ideas about "got to haves" for next spring?

"Got to have" cilantro (for ceviche), rosemary, marjoram and lots of basil for pesto. Maybe paprika and always lots of different hot chilies.
ETA I forgot oregano.

Last edited:
Must have's are Tyme, Basil, Sage, Parsley, Oregino and Not a herb, But Calendula and Pansie's!I love eating Pansies!They are really good on cake, and Calendula makes a awesome salve when you make it correctly!

My personal favorites are chives, basil, and cilantro. I plan on starting oregano for the chickens. I also grow catnip every year for my cats.

Definitely following this tread, as I'm always thinking about next year's garden. Its been a learning experience on what I can and can't grow here. Herbs seem to do well, veggies not so much :( I also need to try some different roots. I have had a hard time starting carrots from seed, but maybe clones from clippings would be better. I will try some garlic this year as well.

Also catnip is in the mint family and smells nice. Catmint is a different variety that doesn't have as much of an effect on the kitties, but is really pretty in the garden and gets lots of lavender flowers.
Ok, Good to know!I always thought Catmjjnt was a diffrent name for Catnip!
I love catnip,,it taste's so good and my cat adore 's it!(Only dried though!)

Ok, Good to know!I always thought Catmjjnt was a diffrent name for Catnip!
I love catnip,,it taste's so good and my cat adore 's it!(Only dried though!)

I grow the catnip inside in a small pot. At some point this last growing season the cats were MIA and very quiet, I discovered them with the overturned pot going to town on the catnip plant! Once they learned about the plant there was no safe spot for it so I just harvested and dried all that I had ;)

I grow the catnip inside in a small pot. At some point this last growing season the cats were MIA and very quiet, I discovered them with the overturned pot going to town on the catnip plant! Once they learned about the plant there was no safe spot for it so I just harvested and dried all that I had ;)
Haha!
We have a stray cat that comes around and eats our catnip at night!

Despite a safe place to sleep, a few mice and lots of food, my barn kitten recently ran away...hope she found a great new home. Maybe I should plant catnip! Also remembered to bring in the Bay Tree. Such a lovely plant and you gotta love those bay leaves in winter soups and gumbo.

Back
Top Bottom