What did you do in the garden today?

Glad to hear you easterly folks weathered the storm alright.

My beautiful jelly didn't set, but I'm going to wait and give it a full 24 hours, and if that doesn't work, put it in the fridge and see if it sets up then. Those are both methods I read online. Crabapples are supposed to not need extra pectin and the juice that came from them was certainly thick but if I have to I'll reprocess with added pectin.

Still cucumbers, peppers and regular apples to can. Hard to believe it's already September but I love the pumpkin spice lattes!

I have a bunch of my tomatoes sitting on the dryer, ripening, and not being eaten by woodchucks. I bought a bushel of tomatoes and canned seven quarts today.

I figure if I do 7 a day, I won't wear my feet out, standing all day. One batch is not too bad.

Every one of the Fillmore lids I've used has sealed. I am so glad I bought those last summer. I'm good for the rest of this year, and into next with wide mouth lids. I usually have no trouble finding the regular sized lids, though at the end of summer last year, they were hard to find. I'll get a couple boxes next time I'm at the store, so I can do applesauce or apple butter, and, of course, salsa. DH likes it hot, and a half pint is about right for two servings. For him. I'm a wimp.

Native sun chokes .
DSCN1081.JPG

Today I removed a very large morning glory plant that had been growing up a 6' triangle. The wind blew it over and pulled out some of the roots. No big deal. It was not producing a single flower and we were very disppointed with it. Tore out a large clump of black eyed susans and planted some kind of perennial in its place. Perennial was a gift from brother in law.

Today I removed a very large morning glory plant that had been growing up a 6' triangle. The wind blew it over and pulled out some of the roots. No big deal. It was not producing a single flower and we were very disppointed with it. Tore out a large clump of black eyed susans and planted some kind of perennial in its place. Perennial was a gift from brother in law.
Not sure where you live Morning glory is also known as binweed it is invasive and illegal to transport in certain states

I've got a huge pot of assorted bones, rabbit, and chicken to make stock for canning. The guy that was supposed to build the run extension didn't get more that a couple of t-posts sunk. We can't have a man banging around the back yard with Penny coming home tomorrow so DP and I will have to finish the job. Oh well, it won't be too hard.

We have all sorts of plans to help Penny. Right now she's like someone in a zombie movie, running from safe place to safe place in a panic and not using her doggie nose to connect to anything around her. We want to get her to engage with the world again and return to her inner dog.

Back
Top Bottom