What did you do in the garden today?

Well speaking of the cold nighttime temps, I wasn't thinking when I started a fire as the sun was setting. The temp gas dropped significantly and the family went inside. I'm or here so with two blankets and two beers watching the fire burn down. This is the new Solo firepit. It is double-walled stainless steel. Pouring water on it while hot is advised against and I fear it could make it warp. So as a safe measure I'm stick alone watching it go down some. It burns hot at least, which helps keep me warm, but the cold wind makes starting warm challenging.

20230421_200545.jpg

I'm struggling emotionally. LOL All my gardening plans hinged on my rototiller. I sent it to be worked on so it would be ready to go for spring. After only about 2 hours on it, it failed and it's in the shop again. So I have TONS of stuff I need to get in the ground and the clock is ticking!
I had 2 of 8 new beds hand tilled, and then asked about borrowing FIL's tiller to re-till 7 beds and to till up the rest of the new beds (all 15 are 12 ft long, and almost all are 4 ft wide, so lots of work). Of course, the DAY BEFORE he was going to bring it, he says, "It has a couple of little problems and needs a tune up. You can't plant until late May, anyway, so I'm not bringing it tomorrow." I let myself be frustrated for a few minutes because I definitely NEED to get my potatoes in, and there are other crops you can plant before the average last frost date, and then decided, "Screw it, I'll do it by hand. If he gets it to me before I'm finished, cool. If not, it will be a good thing I didn't wait."

Wednesday, I tilled up the final 2 of 8 new beds (remove the grass, dig out at least 8 inches, put the grass in the bottom of the bed upside down, put the soil back in). Yesterday, I spread compost on them and started to re-mulch the strawberry and asparagus bed. Then, it decided to rain, so I had to stop. Today, I finished that up, and got 3 out of the 6 remaining old beds weeded/raked. So, it seems I won't be borrowing the tiller. :idunno
My typical statement I am sh*t I float. Sugar can melt in the rain I cannot. :frow
That is hilarious!!!

ETA: I forgot I had hand-tilled 2 beds before realizing how much time it would take, and then asked about borrowing the tiller.

Last edited:
No frost but predicted for next 2 nights, I hope the fruit tree blooms survive. Here is a pic of seed grown thornless blackberry plants. Grown from grocery store berries. Not all survived the winter. Should put on enough growth to bloom next year. So 3 years from seed, View attachment 3476860
Will work for blackberries, just sayin!

Good morning. Except for the onions and potatoes, everything I’ve planted recently is coming up. The leeks are doing well. Looking forward to get enough clearing done today to get more garden beds designated and plant the blueberry bushes. The arches for the grapes arrived yesterday and of course they need to be assembled. But I’m making progress.

Back
Top Bottom