What did you do in the garden today?

I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a freeze dryer this year.
Please let us know what brand you get and what you think of it. I'm toying with this idea too.
Look for Jars at goodwill second hand stores I buy most mine that way.
And estate sales, which is where my neighbor bought hers. Or maybe not, after reading farther.
I go to estate sales thinking about the love that went into the things used; how can I honor that, how can I give this another life.
Thank you. My neighbor does this. Also buys small kitchen appliances that she gives to people she knows need them and will appreciate them.

Garden today : plant the replacement tree. It arrived Friday, but is in growth stage (not bare root), so last few nights were freezing, but no freeze tonight or for awhile. I’ll probably fertilize the trees today and maybe spray.

Looking at some other trees we planted last spring: wow, quite a bit died back. They are still alive and will grow, but I’m surprised.

Baby goats: little rejected girl is getting stronger Won’t drink from bottle, so we tie up auntie to drink milk. Her mom wants nothing to do with her, and auntie is slightly more tolerant, but still needs to be in the milking stand for the baby girl to nurse.
IMG_4495.jpeg

She looks a lot like her auntie!!

IMG_4496.jpeg

These are her brothers. Darker overall and dark moon spots.

I got some weeding done, and then hubby and decided to "peek in the beehive." That turned into a 3 hour diversion.

I'll do some more in the garden tomorrow. Monday too, until eclipse time. The next eclipse anywhere near me is in 2099. So this is it for my lifetime.
Are you in the path of totality?

I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a freeze dryer this year. I have so much food(eta: Garden food) to put up every year.... plus the eggs.... I think it's time.

(eta: JARS ARE EXPENSIVE NOW!! UGGH... I can't just be like " oh I'll just buy 60+ more jars this year.... Nope... our yields are too high, storage space too little, and I need.... less work.)
Yup, anything related to preparedness is a hot ticket item. When the SHTF with Covid it was a wake up call for a lot of people.

Are you in the path of totality?
I’m not sure about @Sally PB, but we are in the path - within 10 miles of centerline! Forecasts are saying light clouds here, so a favorable outlook for the eclipse (at the moment). Sounds like ME is a good place to be however…they should be clear there.

my husband has to work tomorrow, all day (11 hour shift), so he’s wishing he could be off. Teen is off school -all schools here and near are off, they expect crazy traffic on the highways, etc. our fairgrounds, like many places here are open for campers (and include food trucks!). Wapakoneta, Oh (Neil Armstrong hometown) is in the path, and they are doing a 3- day festival etc. I saw a news article that rooms there are going for 1k per night (+/- $300). Wapakoneta isn’t that big, at least the few times I’ve been there it hasn’t seemed very big, likely high cost bc I’ll guess there are not a lot of hotels there.

I’m not sure about @Sally PB, but we are in the path - within 10 miles of centerline! Forecasts are saying light clouds here, so a favorable outlook for the eclipse (at the moment). Sounds like ME is a good place to be however…they should be clear there.

my husband has to work tomorrow, all day (11 hour shift), so he’s wishing he could be off. Teen is off school -all schools here and near are off, they expect crazy traffic on the highways, etc. our fairgrounds, like many places here are open for campers (and include food trucks!). Wapakoneta, Oh (Neil Armstrong hometown) is in the path, and they are doing a 3- day festival etc. I saw a news article that rooms there are going for 1k per night (+/- $300). Wapakoneta isn’t that big, at least the few times I’ve been there it hasn’t seemed very big, likely high cost bc I’ll guess there are not a lot of hotels there.
Lucky you guys!! I believe it about the craziness, people have been planning for this for years.

Good morning gardeners. The only gardening I did yesterday was water my indoor seedlings and re hang the strawberry grow bags. Snow is still covering the ground in most areas. It is melting. Tomorrow I may be able to plant kale, radishes and lettuce in the big garden. Tuesday I should be able to start working on the bush peas. I need to clean and till that and repair some fence posts that were pushed down from this last storm. Today is bread baking day. I noticed a lot of emergency supplies were missing from the shelves at Walmart yesterday. I did manage to grab a couple of cans of sterno and 3 cans of butane gas for my emergency stove. We aren’t in the path of totality for the eclipse but close at about 96 - 97%. I remember the one in 1970. I believe since the information technology is more advanced now that is adding to the hype. Just don’t look up tomorrow unless you’re wearing protective eyewear.

No, but 94%, so it'll be a good show.
Nice! We’re only about 70%.

I just tasted my second batch of kombucha after a couple of days. Still a wee bit sweet but starting to sour. Been looking at tons of flavoring options, thinking of ginger or black and blue berries for our first 2F.

Back
Top Bottom