What did you do in the garden today?

Stopped by the store to pick up some lemons for my water.... Holy smokes! Check out the price of berries! 😳 For a TINY half pint container...

20210410_121518.jpg

Strawberries were $8 for 2 lbs! 😳😳😳

@BReeder! peppers can really vary, in my experience. We had “Zavory” variety (not hot, I don’t think). It was *tiny* no matter what we did. One was planted in pot on deck-it grew the best, but still small in comparison. The ones (of Zavory) in garden bed hardly grew while other varieties grew well. We’ve seen others vary quite a bit the first couple of months, but usually reach a happy point where they grow and produce despite being small/slow to grow at first.

Stopped by the store to pick up some lemons for my water.... Holy smokes! Check out the price of berries! 😳 For a TINY half pint container...

View attachment 2608792

That is what is charged here also more reason to have your own

Same here!! We turned compost a few weeks ago. The pile from last fall (including an early spring clean out) was bad. It got completely turned over into middle section (of 3-section compost area). The “finished” compost is still a bit chunky, but all pretty uniform color of dark brown and not at all smelly. Beginning our pile for this spring/summer.
II wish I could compost- tried it with tumble barrels- when I opened it- whooowhee- palmetto bugs by the dozens came running out. Since I live in town( the neighbors house is about 50 ft behind my coop) I opted for manure tea- when I clean the coop, I put chunks of manure in a bucket, fill with water and cover. Every few weeks, I dip out the “tea” and use to fertilize my plants.

View attachment 2608792

Yeah, I ordered some of those strawberry towers- as soon as they get here, I’m fillin em up. Now, I just need to figure if I can raise blueberries

I've been driving all over God's green earth looking for an iron foliar spray for the strawberries. 2 hours later I finally found some at Ace Hardware... However, the lady at one of the local nurseries told me to soak rusty nails in a bucket of water overnight and then use it on the strawberries. Curious if anyone has ever tried it?

didn't try but heard of it. I have also heard that people used to bury rusty nails around the trees when there were no chemicals.

II wish I could compost- tried it with tumble barrels- when I opened it- whooowhee- palmetto bugs by the dozens came running out. Since I live in town( the neighbors house is about 50 ft behind my coop) I opted for manure tea- when I clean the coop, I put chunks of manure in a bucket, fill with water and cover. Every few weeks, I dip out the “tea” and use to fertilize my plants.

That makes sense! We had a spot that made sense, and needed a lot of compost to improve the beds. Luckily, not near to the homes. Apparently neighbor barn cat (a true hunter) comes by our burn pile (fairly compact metal cage inside a stacked ring of bricks) and compost bin to hunt mice. So far there are no cockroaches, but spiders sure like the compost bin in the warm months.

View attachment 2608792

similar prices here. have always been for berries. but I don't understand why figs are expensive in greece. I never buy them, they grow everywhere by the roads and they are abundant. all the people from neighborhood pick them up every day and still many get wasted.

Back
Top Bottom