What did you do in the garden today?

Apparently Im doing a fall garden after all. I wasn't really planning on it but kiddo says he would help eat it. I lost rather large amounts of green beans due to no one eating them. I couldve frozen them but would forget to put them in the freezer. Actually i thought you had to blanch them first.
do you have to blanch them first? Or is just better to do that, instead of necessary?
I think it is just better to blanch them first. It helps preserve the green color. I have frozen a lot of them without blanching first. My problem is that I just throw them in ziplock baggies in the freezer while waiting for enough and then I never get around to using the vacuum sealer on them so they don’t stay as fresh as as they would if I did it correctly to start with.

I canned up 3 quarts of apples ( and still have more that need to be processed).
I took 2 yellow tomatoes and 5 or 6 regular tomatoes, a baggie of big cherry tomatoes, 2 18 packs of eggs and an assortment of jams, jellies and salsas over to my niece’s house. We did a porch drop off because she has Covid.
I know 5 people who currently have Covid and several coworkers that recently recovered from it.
Tomorrow I’m planning on picking every last tomato that I have. Thursday night the low is in the mid 30’s. Our highs have been in the low 70’s and a few days are predicted to only get up to mid 60’s.
I’m guessing it’s fine to leave the luffas on the vine 🤷‍♀️. They are still very green. The vines are still flowering and new luffas are still appearing.
I want to find a tomato bisque recipe to try with some of my Romas.

Apparently Im doing a fall garden after all. I wasn't really planning on it but kiddo says he would help eat it. I lost rather large amounts of green beans due to no one eating them. I couldve frozen them but would forget to put them in the freezer. Actually i thought you had to blanch them first.
do you have to blanch them first? Or is just better to do that, instead of necessary?

I tried once not to blanch beans and they were very hard. not sure if those beans were hard anyway but I always blanch them.

Good morning. It was a balmy 44 when I woke up this morning with a high of 69. To say I'm happy would be an understatement. My little dude is getting his last molars and my neighbor gave me some red beans from her garden! So I guess red beans and rice with corn bread is what is all about tonight!

Hoping Florida does not get slammed too bad, but my past experiences with many hurricanes tells me elsewise. Praying for those who are in it now and those about to be in it. This is not looking good for SW Florida right about now.

Aaron
ian.jpg

I don't blanch them. I think they taste more like fresh if I freeze them raw. I trim, wash them etc. Let them dry off and then freeze. They don't stick together if they're dry when they go in the freezer and you can take out how much you need at a time. Then I don't thaw them when I cook, they go in still frozen. I like barely cooked veggies though like you find in stir fry.

Back
Top Bottom