What did you do in the garden today?

One thing I find when cooling bread is, let it cool about 5 minutes outside, the put it IN a bag and seal it to cool the rest of the way, otherwise it can get really dry. So far this has worked for me. When I cut a slice its still nice and moist.

Ill have to try freezing to see how it works. if im doing bread machine i guess i could just do smaller batches too so i don't have to freeze when room is tight.

Hmm I'm behind on the thread lol @Ascholten glad to see you are doing well. The pictures coming out of Ft Meyers are terrifying...I don't even think that word covers it. Definitely a disaster.

It's actually bread making day today here at my house lol. I plan my menu weekly, try to keep it seasonal and healthy as possible. So today is 3 loaves of sourdough (wheat/white blend) and croissants. I'm kind of a goober and find making bread really relaxing. I do the same as @Wee Farmer Sarah ....cool the bread completely then freeze. Depending on what it is (buns,loaf bread, croissants ect) I will slice it so it is just easier when thawing

I can't believe tomorrow is October 1st and I STILL can't put out my fall pasture seed because of lack of rain. We haven't had any rain for a month now and none forecasted in the next 10 days... 😭
We were supposed to get rain tomorrow... nope... its so dry my own skin feels crunchy. There is a wildfire southwest of us and the wind isn't helping. Hopefully we both get rain soon!

One thing I find when cooling bread is, let it cool about 5 minutes outside, the put it IN a bag and seal it to cool the rest of the way, otherwise it can get really dry. So far this has worked for me. When I cut a slice its still nice and moist.
Curious. I find if I don't let bread cool totally, it gets soggy in the bag. Even when cooled I put a paper towel under the loaf in the bag. Usually I slice it first then freeze what I won't use in 2 or 3 days. Works fine.

I'm going to try this next time DP makes a loaf, that's always the problem with home made bread, it tends to get dry so fast.

I've run out of pint jars and I still have a load of canning that requires pints and I don't have the extra cash for more. Solution! My birthday is in November and DP has asked me what I want! YAY! I want more canning jars! :weeShe was going to order them from Amazon but their prices are ridiculous so next trip to town I'll get some at Walmart, Kroger or Ace depending on who has the best prices.

I'm going to try this next time DP makes a loaf, that's always the problem with home made bread, it tends to get dry so fast.

I've run out of pint jars and I still have a load of canning that requires pints and I don't have the extra cash for more. Solution! My birthday is in November and DP has asked me what I want! YAY! I want more canning jars! :weeShe was going to order them from Amazon but their prices are ridiculous so next trip to town I'll get some at Walmart, Kroger or Ace depending on who has the best prices.
You may get some condensation in the bag, in fact you will, just kind of rub it on the bread and let it soak back in sort of. After the first 'take out' when you remove it the first time and cut some off it, that water should make its way back totally into the loaf and you should not have any problems. Just cut what you need, put it back in the bag, seal it and back in the fridge.

I used to make my pumperbrickel or I have a salsa bread I make that's absokinlutely wonderful !!, that I put pulled beef on, with the onions and peppers and shrooms that I stewed with it, a big slice of pepper jack, some russian dressing and you got yourself a redneck ruben that'll knock your socks off !!

Aaron

Hmm I'm behind on the thread lol @Ascholten glad to see you are doing well. The pictures coming out of Ft Meyers are terrifying...I don't even think that word covers it. Definitely a disaster.

It's actually bread making day today here at my house lol. I plan my menu weekly, try to keep it seasonal and healthy as possible. So today is 3 loaves of sourdough (wheat/white blend) and croissants. I'm kind of a goober and find making bread really relaxing. I do the same as @Wee Farmer Sarah ....cool the bread completely then freeze. Depending on what it is (buns,loaf bread, croissants ect) I will slice it so it is just easier when thawing
I also find working with bread dough relaxing. I used to make mostly sourdough bread for myself until my daughter was mis-diagnosed as having celiacs disease. I learned how to make GF bread from french style baguettes, sandwich rolls and even a respectable crescent roll. My sourdough starter was a casualty. I keep trying to remember to make a new one. Maybe after canning season is over. I still have tomatoes and peaches to turn into salsas. And DD wants to learn how to make Concord grape jam. I’ve been using 1/2 pint jars and I ran out of them. I picked up a case from Walmart this morning but I’ll likely still need one more to finish up all the canning. The green tomatoes I picked are still ripening inside so I feel good about my garden haul in spite of the crazy drought and other weather. I’m planning on picking some kale and chard tomorrow morning before I start another batch of salsa. I’ll be mixing my small harvest of tomatillos with some green tomatoes to make more salsa verde. Then there is that additional batch of spicy peach salsa. Perhaps I need 2 more cases of half pint jars. Lol!

I also find working with bread dough relaxing. I used to make mostly sourdough bread for myself until my daughter was mis-diagnosed as having celiacs disease. I learned how to make GF bread from french style baguettes, sandwich rolls and even a respectable crescent roll. My sourdough starter was a casualty. I keep trying to remember to make a new one. Maybe after canning season is over. I still have tomatoes and peaches to turn into salsas. And DD wants to learn how to make Concord grape jam. I’ve been using 1/2 pint jars and I ran out of them. I picked up a case from Walmart this morning but I’ll likely still need one more to finish up all the canning. The green tomatoes I picked are still ripening inside so I feel good about my garden haul in spite of the crazy drought and other weather. I’m planning on picking some kale and chard tomorrow morning before I start another batch of salsa. I’ll be mixing my small harvest of tomatillos with some green tomatoes to make more salsa verde. Then there is that additional batch of spicy peach salsa. Perhaps I need 2 more cases of half pint jars. Lol!
This is probably going to sound insane but I toss my starter every spring. No matter what jar or cover or crock I use the fruit flies find a way in every spring/summer. As soon as it hit below 50 (last week) I began the starter process. This will be my first bake with this starter except the cast off gnocchi I made with it last night. We will see how it goes...kind young starter but it floats so it gets used lol. I've worked some gluten free after being misdiagnosed with celiac as well! Misdiagnosis is super annoying and expensive

Back
Top Bottom