What did you do in the garden today?

This talk of cherry trees... I want a Montmorency cherry tree. We honeymooned in Door County, WI and they grow Montmorency cherries all over up there. They are delicious tart cherries for preserves, pies, juice, and eating fresh (I like them fresh at least). One of these days I'll order one - I just hate paying $60 for a twig sized fruit tree.

I did buy a new dwarf meyer lemon tree today. My first one was purchased 2 or 3 years ago and my dog knocked the pot down and chewed on the small sapling of a tree like it was a stick outside. Home Depot just got these in - they were still in the cart from their delivery truck and wrapped in plastic wrap from shipping - so I had the pick of the lot. I got a nice tall one that has some nice branching starting. It needed to be watered as their garden center didn't unpack and water them after shipping yet, but it looks great!

Then there's my Chicago fig tree... Not sure that made it through the winter this year. This is it's third season and I was really excited for more figs. I'm giving it a bit more time though to see if any of the leaf buds grow into leaves.
My fig tree same. I'm close Chattanooga Tn. I ended up cutting to ground and new shoots started showing. So glad thought i lost it!
I reccommend watching!

Literally crying right now.
My 14 year old thought he was helping and cut down my grape vine by the sweet corn patch.
It looked the best it ever had and was five years old.
Feeling gut punched.
My husband murders something of mine with the lawn mower every year, last time it was my whole established blueberry patch, this year the upcoming blackberry vine patch. Whyyyyyyyy! 😩

My husband murders something of mine with the lawn mower every year, last time it was my whole established blueberry patch, this year the upcoming blackberry vine patch. Whyyyyyyyy! 😩
FENCING. In your case, a little bit of wire and some stakes is well worth the investment. I would consider offering to cut the grass even - maybe shoot the spouse too. 😆

Cut the grass again todat on my new ride on. Then I turned the deck off and gave the kids a ride they seemed to be desparately waiting for. Lol. We got a little rain this morning and it was cloudy so the garden stayed wet for once.

Debating about pulling garlic. There are one or two leaves starting to brown. Last year I pulled it late, so I'm overly cautious this year. Anybody else in 5b or 6 growing garlic - when are you harvesting?
I'm 6a here & don't harvest till late June or July usually.
Cinder blocks aren’t too bad, a little more than $1 each here. Depending on how big your beds are it might not break the bank, but you’d do well to drive rebar down into the holes to pin in place and fill with cement to hold them for a wall; and they are heavy after you’ve moved a few, ask me how I know lol. They are 8” tall and wide so four high would get you to 32” or roughly hip high?
Thank you for the real world experience. I'll have to talk to DH about it & see if he'd be willing to consider maybe switching 1 4x8 bed a year over to cinder blocks. I checked the depot & almost $2.58 a piece. CT is stupid expensive. But...it's an investment in feeding us in retirement & they will never have to be replaced again. I'm all for him doing it. :lau

Just starting to rain here so I opened the windows. :yesss: I was going to let the new littles out with the bigs today but I think I'll wait till tomorrow when it's nicer out & I can spend some time watching them. They're such good girls, put themselves to bed every single night without any training!

ETA: @TJAnonymous I hope everything is ok with Mom. ❤️

Good morning gardeners. Picked up the San Marzano tomato replacements yesterday. Also picked up one Sweet 100 plants. Picked up more flowers. I got a lot done in the upper garden yesterday. I used logs to help dam the slope to keep the heavy rain from washing the dirt away. Fingers crossed it works. I finally got the string in place for the peas this morning. I slept in this morning so I'm running behind. I'm trying to get a few more things accomplished before the rain starts. Good to know it just started down your way @Sueby. That means I should have at least another hour. They actually upped the forecast to perhaps 1.5 inches of rain. I definitely won't get the chicken yard mowed today. It looks a little ragged but the grass has formed seed so I'm hoping to let that go and thicken the turf for the chickens. All planting outside is on hold until tomorrow. Have I mentioned how badly we need a good rain? I'm planting all nightshades plus some Lima beans on the upper garden this year so next year it will likely be planted with beans and squash. I also found my two 10 gallon grow bags in the potting shed. I have scrounged enough containers to plant some regular potatoes, so Yay for me! OK really need to get a little more finished up before the rain starts. Have a great day.

I've learned the hard way to put up fencing or put everything in a raised bed. Mine cannot be trusted not to mow over something. 🙄

PSA: Rhubarb Weevil
IMG_1907.png

At first -before ID, I was excited..maybe a new beneficial insect. But, no. It causes the dried long cracks in the rhubarb stems.

So, now off to find and kill it. Yes, it’s photographed on a rhubarb stem.

IMG_1671.jpeg

Good afternoon gardeners,

We made an old, 2- 3 stones high, brick ‘wall’ 15 years ago. It almost disappeared over the years. My daughter renovated her house (open kitchen + extra window) and we got some extra bricks for free to level it up today.

It’s not meant as a fence (nobody is trespassing). The wilderness behind it is a challenging place (but also a bit dangerous) for free rangers.
Sometimes we mow the first meter. The gardeners of the municipality mow it once a year late summer.

Ok, so the rain has started already. Work outside is over for the day. I managed to repair the roof on the bluebird house. I did have one more half bucket of garden dirt to take up to the upper garden but I just slipped it into the potting shed for now. I can’t complain about the rain. I could use a little down time for now and just enjoy a warm rainy day.

Back
Top Bottom