What did you do in the garden today?

Good morning everyone! I've got all kinds of battles today.

I keep forgetting to mention that I have some kind of small, flying stink bug that's infesting my oats. I only grew a small 2 ft x 3 ft plot just to see how it does. These bugs are relentless. I SOAKED them with Neem (emulsified with castile soap) to see if it helps. 🙏 I can't seem to find any organic insecticide that's effective against them. I've got 3 months to figure it out before I plant a larger crop...
20230623_090018.jpg

I also have a chick that has infections in both eyes and a serious injury to one eye. I think this happened when broody momma trampled them with her nervous pacing. I brought the chick inside to treat it. It will definitely be blind in one eye, if it lives. I have another pullet who was blinded in one eye last summer from something similar. She does just fine so there's hope for the little nugget if we can save one eye.

Good morning everyone! I've got all kinds of battles today.

I keep forgetting to mention that I have some kind of small, flying stink bug that's infesting my oats. I only grew a small 2 ft x 3 ft plot just to see how it does. These bugs are relentless. I SOAKED them with Neem (emulsified with castile soap) to see if it helps. 🙏 I can't seem to find any organic insecticide that's effective against them. I've got 3 months to figure it out before I plant a larger crop...
View attachment 3552870

I also have a chick that has infections in both eyes and a serious injury to one eye. I think this happened when broody momma trampled them with her nervous pacing. I brought the chick inside to treat it. It will definitely be blind in one eye, if it lives. I have another pullet who was blinded in one eye last summer from something similar. She does just fine so there's hope for the little nugget if we can save one eye.

I hate those bugs! We get leaf footed bug and squash bugs like that every year once the heat really kicks in.

It rained last night! Enough for a good coverage, but not a lot of rain. I had watered everything on Wednesday really well, so they are well watered.

Yesterday was cold. It never broke 70 and it was overcast all day. Today is a little warmer.

Today I’m baking some cakes for a community event. Just cakes in the 8” aluminum pans, a variety of flavors/add-ins, toppings.

Parsnip variety 1: Doing well.

Red onions on left, melons on right
Screen Shot 2023-06-23 at 3.59.24 PM.png

Parsnip variety 2: not as good...but was planted 7-10 days after the above ones. Soybeans on left and right (edamame).
Screen Shot 2023-06-23 at 3.59.35 PM.png

The lone Asian Pear is looking good! First year that this tree is producing, it is the fourth spring/summer since it was planted.
Screen Shot 2023-06-23 at 3.59.45 PM.png

My first ever Dahlias! one of them is producing a couple of blooms. Cant wait to see what it looks like!
Screen Shot 2023-06-23 at 3.59.59 PM.png

I saw a bloom on a dahlia today too! I also saw a Japanese beetle. ☹️

I spead 2 tractor buckets of woodchips in the chicken run. 1/2 a 5 gallon bucket at a time cuz thats my weight limit. 🤣 Actually felt good to do something after 7 months of doing nothing. I will put cardboard down in the garden path & get chips in there the same way tomorrow.

We just went through that too. I usually use a little terro & they disappear - not this year! They mobbed the terro trap & it was the most disgusting thing I've seen so DH did 2 doses of perimeter spray & all is pretty good now.
Terro is down, both in drops and traps.
I'll spray the exterior of the hours after the rains (hopefully) tonight.

Crazy little beasts.

Spent all day yesterday outside stripping, priming, and painting a door.
Today I cleaned it all up, resealed it, and added the addy.
Now I need to water the garden as the latest, slow moving heavy rain storm missed us by two miles. UGH.
When we moved here 10 years ago it was contractor white. I painted it that year to Lowe's blue, now this. I'm loving it.

Now off to water the garden.
20230623_142946.jpg

Back
Top Bottom