What did you do in the garden today?

Looks like it. I don't have carrots and dill, so I know which one is cosmos :p Although I have to see the flowers to tell what type of cosmos is it. I have Dutch rose, candystrips, and old fashion solid color ones.
Either I was reallly sloppy with the carrot seeds or there was dill or cosmos in the compost. Could go any way. 🤣

I have no clue what my cosmos are, but they're so lovely I bought more seed this year. My originals are pink or white & get to be 4 feet tall, I bought reds/oranges. Got any pics?

Yippie Skippy and Fuzzy and Wuzzy

Gold laced blue wyandottes and hampbars
1000013093.jpg

Went camping for the weekend. Came back and the garden looks good except for a few weeds. I forgot to plant greenbeans on Friday that I started soaking on Thursday. The bowl was out of water (only filled it to cover the seeds) but the beans were still wet and plump. Some just began to sprout even. I gently planted them in the garden. Fingers crossed they grow - people start seeds in paper towel and plant them and they grow, so why shouldn't these?
I did the same thing! Started soaking seeds, and then realized I had to dig tons of grass out of the beds they were going in. So, I poured out the water, and they sprouted under moist paper towel in a plastic container. And I didn't have to wonder if they would germinate or if I would have to reseed!
Thanks, yes, I'm fine. The storms were about 90 miles south of me. Portage, MI (just outside of Kzoo) was hit by TWO tornados. Lots of buildings/homes damaged. Reports of injuries, but no fatalities.
We have a bunch of family that way, and they all got through ok.
Baby nasturtium? I've never grown it so Im not positive.

Also having issues telling carrots from dill from cosmos. 🤣
View attachment 3825702
100% baby nasturtium! I love nasturtium leaves, they are so unique and pretty!

Mine are prolific and spreading , so keep an eye on them ! I started with 6 skrawny plants last spring and now. I see why folks use them as live fence'sView attachment 3825682
Mine are a year old now and barely a single foot tall stem. I'm thinking it clearly doesn't like being in a pot. Maybe I ought to move it into the ground.

Wrapped and staked my Summer squash.

IMG_20240508_174942793.jpg

First I cut back the outer leaves, careful to not cut the main stalk/vine. Then I dug away some of the dirt at the base and laid barrier fabric or cloth around the main stem. I wound it around the stalk so there were no gaps, but not tight.
IMG_20240508_175545382.jpg

I then secured the wrap. I used masking tape but last year I used electrical tape as I had several rolls on hand.

Then I covered the base of the plant with a little dirt, to cover the wrap.
IMG_20240508_175738881.jpg

Finally I attached the squash to the stake with more of the wrap, crossing it ("figure 8") between the plant and the stake.

As the squash grows I will cut excess leaves and continue to wrap it to at least 12" from the ground. It really helped deter squash vine borers last year, was great to have more than a couple Summer squash fruits before the plants wilted.
IMG_20240508_183642703.jpg

Back
Top Bottom