What did you give your chickies today?

They got crumble of course then later some beef and bacon pie. I know they're my chickens by the way they went after that bacon. I'm lovin' my girls!

This morning I gave my girls broccoli, Raisens, grapes, kale and cabbage . Tomorrow the same with oatmeal ! Sprouting again this weekend so they have sprouted wheat to munch on.

Wow...I'm reading the variety and can't believe my eyes! I'm new to the world of chickens and like with every new experience am very hesitant on what to feed my girls for snacks and how much! I hear if they get too many snacks they won't eat their feed. I've been giving them cooked oatmeal ( nice and warm on these cold winter mornings lately) mixed with cantalope, grapes or what ever fruit I have on hand, then I sprinkle that w/sunflower seeds and a little sprinkle of ground flaxseed......their night time snack is usually orzo pasta (their fav) with corn, peas, broccoli , carrots or some kind of veggie....I never gave them any chicken, lol, thats just not right! cannibalism heheheee... I also found tying a head of cabbage and letting it hang for the girls to have something to peck at and get some greens in them when they don't like going out in the snow. I also have wired to the side of the coop a suet feeder that I fill with kale, lettuce and any kind of greens to snack on. If there are any chicken dieticians out there ( LOL) can you tell me if I give them meat, like pork, bacon, beef etc...will that mess up their system because they haven't eaten anything like that before...I don't want to get them sick.....maybe I'll just keep them vegetarians.

If they get to scratch around in the yard they are not vegetarians they will eat any bug, spider (widows included) they can find. Mine were chasing each other around the yard because one had a sparrow she caught some how and they were eating it. Lizards are really yummy and grubs yummo. These girls will eat anything that is not tied down and that they will peck at.

I myself am going on year 2 and still feel like a newbie had a lot of bad advice given to me till I came to this site and was set straight. I was told to give them only scratch and they would be fine well I did this and they stopped laying the next day came here and was told to stop that and feed them right. Went back to what I was doing and they blessed me with eggs. The better we feed them the better they lay.

My girls got chopped cabbage, sprouts, plain yogurt and berries. I have recently discovered a grocery store here called Aldi, they have fresh produce cheap, cheap enough for me and some for my girls. Today they had large cucumbers for 0.25 each, and grapes for less than a dollar a pound. Also in their frozen food section they have frozen bags of berries for 0.99.

This morning I gave my girls broccoli, Raisens, grapes, kale and cabbage . Tomorrow the same with oatmeal ! Sprouting again this weekend so they have sprouted wheat to munch on.

With all the hoopla around sprouts from the market you just made my noodle start to think that I can sprout my own
th.gif
sometimes I need to read something to wake up the thought process. How do you sprout wheat?

Gave my girls some barely with mixed veggies and rice. They found themselves some nice bugs out in the yard, they've been trenching around the trees all day but are now back in their yard, guess they are full. They look like they swallowed tennis balls.

Back
Top Bottom