What do folk think about Dogs in the bedroom?

Have you heard of zoonotic diseases? These are diseases that animals can spread to humans... even seemingly healthy animals. I used to work with veterinarians and most of them will advice against sharing your bed with a pet. Even the CDC is against this practice.
Please take the time to check these sites:
http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/20/letting-sleeping-dogs-lie-in-your-bed-can-kill-you/

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/41235440/ns/health-pet_health/t/out-sack-cat-sleeping-pets-carries-disease-risk/
http://www.vetinfo.com/dogs-sleep-human-bed.html

I'm thinking that we're more likely to die in a car accident yet that doesn't stop us from driving. My daughter has been a vet tech for about 8 years. I'd have her ask the vet about this but we already know that he sleeps with his 4 dogs.

I've been sleeping with either a cat or dog for over 50 years. I think I'm probably immune by now but will take my chances.

I grew up in England. Many people I knew both in the city and he country let their dogs sleep in the bed, from westie to Newfie. Some differences I did notice were:
-people socialized their dogs more thoroughly. Public lands and dog friendly pubs helped in this area a lot
-owners were more likely to actually euthanize aggressive animals rather than bring them to shelters/rescues, or continue to keep them

My dog came from a shelter as an adult with horrible separation anxiety and other very serious issues. I can not say what her exact background was, but can guarantee she did not sleep in a bed, nor lived inside. She eventually earned the right to sleep in our bed, and her separation anxiety continued to improve during this time. She will never be the dog she would have been had she been raised differently, but she has overcome huge obstacles. Her breed is very prone to separation anxiety, despite being rough and tumble livestock dogs, yet the bed sleeping neither triggered separation anxiety, nor hampered improvement. My roommate's dog is a rottie. He was born outside at his breeder's house, and lives almost entirely outside now. He is in no way coddled. While it is not as bad as it was in his puppy years, he displays moderate levels of separation anxiety to this day. These are merely two examples of many. Separation anxiety has to do with things like genetics and upbringing rather than the location of sleep. :)

The dog/cat/rabbit (we let him spend the night up there too)/bed death count is not yet high enough for me to lose sleep.

I grew up in England. Many people I knew both in the city and he country let their dogs sleep in the bed, from westie to Newfie. Some differences I did notice were:
-people socialized their dogs more thoroughly. Public lands and dog friendly pubs helped in this area a lot
-owners were more likely to actually euthanize aggressive animals rather than bring them to shelters/rescues, or continue to keep them

My dog came from a shelter as an adult with horrible separation anxiety and other very serious issues. I can not say what her exact background was, but can guarantee she did not sleep in a bed, nor lived inside. She eventually earned the right to sleep in our bed, and her separation anxiety continued to improve during this time. She will never be the dog she would have been had she been raised differently, but she has overcome huge obstacles. Her breed is very prone to separation anxiety, despite being rough and tumble livestock dogs, yet the bed sleeping neither triggered separation anxiety, nor hampered improvement. My roommate's dog is a rottie. He was born outside at his breeder's house, and lives almost entirely outside now. He is in no way coddled. While it is not as bad as it was in his puppy years, he displays moderate levels of separation anxiety to this day. These are merely two examples of many. Separation anxiety has to do with things like genetics and upbringing rather than the location of sleep. :)

The dog/cat/rabbit (we let him spend the night up there too)/bed death count is not yet high enough for me to lose sleep.
gig.gif

you can get a heck of a lot more diseases from other people......
That's true and still... does not contradict my point. Good hygiene practices will benefit people when applied at all times. Washing your hands, covering your sneeze and from sick people who sneeze by your side, keeping your house and clothes clean, not sharing personal items and definetely... not sharing your bed with animals who step on their feces, smell and lick their privates and can't alert you when they have critters crawling inside their ears and fur.

Although as stated in the articles is not pandemically common, there are accounts of people that have even lost their sight due to parasites getting inside their bodies after sharing their beds with their pets.

If this is not enough to get people to protect themselves then, be my guest... let Fido have his way.
sickbyc.gif

I'm thinking that we're more likely to die in a car accident yet that doesn't stop us from driving. My daughter has been a vet tech for about 8 years. I'd have her ask the vet about this but we already know that he sleeps with his 4 dogs.

I've been sleeping with either a cat or dog for over 50 years. I think I'm probably immune by now but will take my chances.
I have known nutritionists that eat like Fast Food Franchise owners and lawyers that are the biggest liars you can imagine... I think you misunderstood my point... this is not about dying from it, but more about health best practices and what is in our best interest... but we as humans sometimes easily (until sometimes is too late) underestimate those things and just go for what makes us happy or feel good.

Actually, more and more the scientific community is learning the danger of going so far in the direction of sterile environments that we are swinging over to things like drug resistance issues and steeply increased levels of autoimmune disease. I will personally take my low-risk chances with Fido. :)

Granted, I am living in a fairly dry and hot environment that does not sustain parasites such as ticks, and I own pets that are not running large amid wildlife and they receive routine health care and vaccinations. The risks would be different were I to curl up with a dog that I found running wild in, say, Virginia (AKA the state I used to pull five ticks off myself daily without the help of any furry friends).

Last edited:
Actually, more and more the scientific community is learning the danger of going so far in the direction of sterile environments that we are swinging over to things like drug resistance issues and steeply increased levels of autoimmune disease. I will personally take my low-risk chances with Fido. :)

I agree.. that's one of the main reasons we have "super bugs" today

as kids we played in the dirt in the barnyard.. would go pull veggies from the garden and chew on raw green beans and unwashed carrots right there.. we were lucky if we washed our hands before grabbing lunch...
and through all of that.. we weren't as sickly as kids are today

in the past 50+ years I have gotten 0 illnesses and diseases from my critters... but I have caught a lot of flu and cold bugs from people walking around in the store, sneezing and coughing in public.. I refuse to go to the doctor's office for anything minor during flu season because I don't want to catch anything from the sick people in there.

even if the dog steps in it's own poo... I know where it's been and if it has had a recent de-worming or not.. I can't say the same thing for the people in the restaurant who are processing the dinner I just paid for... gods knows plenty of them never bother to wash their hands after using the bathroom and don't care if they sneeze all over my food..... yeah .. i'll take my chances with my animals.. people are a whole lot nastier...

When I was little (read as about 8 years ago), I had a horse. I was always in the barn, playing with her, or the dogs or cats, at playing in the hay, or running through the pasture. I NEVER got sick. Then, we lost the horse and the land after the economy crashed, and I couldn't focus, I'm a bit sickly, and I just don't do as well in school I'd do just about anything to have what I had back then back. I miss it.

Ok, my little sob story is over now.

Back
Top Bottom