What do folk think about Dogs in the bedroom?

I agree.. I have never had obedience or aggression issues or any other problems (other than the dogs sprawling out before I could get my spot.. lol). Even when I raised Dobermans and had 12 adult Dobies attempting to steal the king sized bed I never had aggression issues. And if I told them to get off the bed.. they would.

Exactly. I've never had any obedience or aggression issue with my dogs. The only issue I ever get is a case of "pretend sleeping" from the coon hound. I'll try to get her to scoot over in the bed and she'll pretend she's asleep, right down to keeping her eyes shut. But I can tell from her breathing that she's not sleeping! Oh, she'll decide to "wake up" and move over after I tell her a few times. Sleeping with us may have turned her into a fine actress but that's about it.

If there are behavior issues with a dog, it's not from sleeping with people and those situations need to be addressed. Dogs are pack animals and want to be with their pack and the pack is us!

Have you taken him to the vet? Maybe he has a mild urinary tract infection? In the US we can get a product called Forbid, which is a pill given to dogs who are prone to eating their own poop. The dog eats it and it makes the poop taste undesirable. Maybe schedule a visit to the veterinarian and ask them about something like that. Good luck, I hope you figure this out.
smile.png

Yeah I was thinking he might have a urinery infection as he wets loads. - As for the Dogs in bed maybe it is more an American thing?
A lot of folk here don't even keep a dog in the house! I guess it is a personal thing. It is simply not for me and isn;t going to happen here.
He has pood about 5 times today and even just now on the floor without a sound to tell me he wanted the yard!
barnie.gif

I hope he grows out of this?

Oes - At least 90% is in the yard so were heading in the right direction.

Exactly. I've never had any obedience or aggression issue with my dogs. The only issue I ever get is a case of "pretend sleeping" from the coon hound. I'll try to get her to scoot over in the bed and she'll pretend she's asleep, right down to keeping her eyes shut. But I can tell from her breathing that she's not sleeping! Oh, she'll decide to "wake up" and move over after I tell her a few times. Sleeping with us may have turned her into a fine actress but that's about it.

If there are behavior issues with a dog, it's not from sleeping with people and those situations need to be addressed. Dogs are pack animals and want to be with their pack and the pack is us!

Have you ever had seperation issues with your dog by letting him have so much access to you all the time? What happens when you go out for the day and can't take him?( Does he get distressed because your not there?) What happens if your out walking and leave him outside a store? Does he get upset and cry for you? Or does he take it in his stride? What I am asking is are dogs that are allowed more or less 24/7 access to their owners more inclined to seperation issues? Because they are not used to being alone and being able to cope?

OES

Last edited:
if he is peeing that much, I'd have him checked for a UTI.

If you don't have room for a crate in the bedroom, just tether him

you need to rethink HOW you are potty training. You need to either keep him tethered to you so that he is never out of your eyesight. If you can't watch him, then he is confined in a small space so that he isn't going to potty where-ever. That way, he never has a chance to go in the house. Right now, he knows that he CAN potty in the house. You need to clean every spot he has gone with a good enzyme cleaner that will get rid of the scent.

And, no, I've never had a problem with separation issues. My dog doesn't have 24/7 access to me. I work, husband works, the kids have school. I think that separation issues are more prone in dogs that are insecure or have other issues already. It can also be merely a training issue.

Thanks for that. Though he isn;t going in the bedroom ! lol Not never! Ok If I am a little old widow woman maybe one day but DH would throw a complete wobbler! Also if I let one in then they would all have to and the cat used to sleep with us but then he got old and incontinent so - well DH decided he didn;t want a water bed! lol and that was the end of animals in the bedroom. We never had dogs in there but his cat well? Anyhow I am getting Bailey checked out for an infection. He is rather weeing a lot. I have him confined in a small space which is about 5 foot by 8 foot space and once you take into account units and white goods down eaither side he doesn't have a lot of space. 90% of the time he is ok and goes outside and tells me he wants to go but not always and those times he seems to stress DH so much. I mean if I find poo I just go clean it up or dump it in the yard so Bailey can see where it should go but DH makes a whole big issues out of it! Men are just wimps when it comes to poo and pee! You would think he would cope better having been an ambulance man and also having to change our disabled son every day! To be honest I get more stressed because he gets stressed! Bailey just wants someone to love! and someone to love him back. When I first got him it was very hard to bond as I felt it was way too soon after Murph died. But he came from a great breeder and we couldn;t turn the oportunity down. - However I now think I was not the best to Bailey at the start because I wanted Murphy and he was not my dog! It took time to see him as MY dog. Now we get on great and I love him to bits. He has a fantastic temperament. Though he finds play difficult for some reason? I think I need to be at that more with him. Doing stuff in the yard and playing ball games etc. He is quite slow at these things. I was going to get the Vet to check his eyes again though he was checked in November / december time and all was well. Now I am thinking he doesn;t see where things a re thrown? I am going to put his fringe up again and see if it makes a difference?

. He is great in every other way appart from the odd poo and pee? I am hoping he will simply grow out of it.

Oes

you need to rethink HOW you are potty training. You need to either keep him tethered to you so that he is never out of your eyesight. If you can't watch him, then he is confined in a small space so that he isn't going to potty where-ever. That way, he never has a chance to go in the house. Right now, he knows that he CAN potty in the house. You need to clean every spot he has gone with a good enzyme cleaner that will get rid of the scent.

And, no, I've never had a problem with separation issues. My dog doesn't have 24/7 access to me. I work, husband works, the kids have school. I think that separation issues are more prone in dogs that are insecure or have other issues already. It can also be merely a training issue.

I usually clean with a lemon cleaner that has NO amonia in it. But DH took to using Js fluid in the house which I think makes the place smell like a kennel! It clearly states for outdoor use only but DH insists his mother used it???? I think it;s made things worse not better?

Oes

I'm home pretty much 24/7

never had issues with the dogs being "needy" or tearing up the house when I do go out to the store or to go buy feed

I agree.. it has a lot to do with other issues or training issues.. a dog who is properly trained and feels secure in it's own skin won't have separation issues at all.

Sorry not deliberatley changing subject - I just lost Bertha
My lovely Speckled Sussex is dead.

Oes
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom