What do i do my dog will not stay in the electric fence?

farm girl

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 6, 2012
In the USA
What do i do my dog will not stay in the electric fence? he is a lab and hound mix over 100 pounds mostly tall. he was trained perfectly fine for a couple years than he thought that he could run thought it and if he runs fast enough he will not get shocked. He dose every time. How do i know? He growls at it when he run thought it. Also we got the highest shock you can get but he dose not care( very tough dog ) We have been tying him up. But i hate tying a animal up so i want to retrain his but he knows the trick. He also has a friend he runs off with a friend. That friend is a dog,...that dog has never had the shock collar and i will NOT start with that. Two females to, that stay in the shock fence they are like 20-30pounds( my good girls ) SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What do i do?
sad.png

barnie.gif
th.gif
hu.gif
he.gif

Sounds like you need to invest in some quality dog training classes. What you are describing sounds very common when a "Shock Collar" is not being properly used.

Sounds like you need to invest in some quality dog training classes. What you are describing sounds very common when a "Shock Collar" is not being properly used.
x2 shock collars and fences are not good tools for long term success. You are going to need to make training a daily part of your routine and will need to work on training both dogs together and individually. Start from the very beginning.

Last edited:
caf.gif

Out of curiosity, how do you train a dog to not wander when left alone in the yard? My dogs are great at staying in the yard as long as I'm standing there.. but if I go in the house, they'll be off looking for deer or chasing logging trucks before I get my shoes off.

I have 3 dogs. They stay in the yard while I'm at work. It's roughly about 1/2 acre 3-board fence. It used to have an electric wire along the lower board (around 8" high). The 2 larger ones (lab & beagle/sheltie) would find the spots with the largest gap between ground and wire and scoot under.
I finally replaced the electric wire with the 'underground' wire for a radio fence. Just hung it in the insulators. It's set so that the collar beeps a warning at about 4' away from the fence. if they come closer to the fence, it will shock them. They can't get around/over/under a fence they can't get close to.

And before anyone gets all wound up over it - before I put it on my dogs I held it in my hand and walked up to the fence. Felt no different from the regular electric fence zap and I like that it beeps and vibrates to warn them before the shock.

My yard is small and fenced but I did train my dogs to stay in that area even if I left the gates open. Perhaps people with really big yards and no fences might have more to add for you, but this is what I did.

I started working with my dog in a crate and teaching her wait. It was easy to start there because I could use my body to block her and make it clear what I wanted. Once she understood "wait" and would wait in the crate with the crate door open even if I left the room I moved onto the bedroom door way. Bigger area, but still low consequence if she messed up.

I then moved to the front door and also started working with her on some imaginary lines. For example my kitchen and living room are all one big rooom with the same hard flooring but I do not want my doors to hang out in the kitchen so whenever she went in the kitchen I would use my body and into her making her walk backwards until she was past the imaginary line. As soon as she was I would say "out of the kitchen" "wait." I wanted to make sure she could work with barriers that there not as clearly defined physically.

Once she had mastered all of that and I felt confident with her overall training and started working with the gates that open into my neighborhood. I worked on each of these a little every day. After awhile I stopped using commands and the behavior was just a given.

I have seen places there people do not have fences (culture shock for me!) and am assuming it would be something similar-ish or at least the same base idea but I would also love to hear how people deal with it.

He is a working dog with a high tolerance for pain most likely; my rotties got 5 foot fencing instead. My dogs are very obedient, too. But the electric will not work for many types of dogs. How the fencing works is by pain tolerance, NOT obedience. Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom