What do you all think....

Cheryls

Chirping
9 Years
Oct 19, 2013
been having a raccoon around, so I set a live trap. Last night at 9:45 pm I went look and I caught it. Then around 11:00 pm I went back out and it was gone! Got out of trap! The trap was still closed up. Is that possible? Are they that smart? How was it able to lift arm while pushing door back then up? Don’t think any humans were around to let it out. So what to you guys think?

I've had raccoons, mink and foxes escape traps.
Raccoons are extremely smart, powerful and dexterous.
Mink escape because they can squeeze through less than a 1" opening.
Foxes escape by chewing their own leg off.
Raccoons have an array of skills they use. A duke style leg traps works best for raccoons. Now that you caught the raccoon in a box trap, it will never be fooled to go in it again so go for the dog proof leg trap. The problem with those is having a plan to deal with the animal after you catch it.

The problem I have with the original post is the use of singular terminology. Articles like the, a, an, as well as words like it. That means one assumes there is only one predator afoot. The words used should be some, them, they, etc..
I guarantee you don't have a raccoon. You have many raccoons. They have brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers, offspring, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc..
Same applies to all other predators.

Last edited:
The problem I have with the original post is the use of singular terminology. Articles like the, a, an, as well as words like it. That means one assumes there is only one predator afoot. The words used should be some, them, they, etc..
I guarantee you don't have a raccoon. You have many raccoons. They have brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers, offspring, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc..
Same applies to all other predators.
I remember finding out the hard way that I had a family of Raccoons stalking my chickens and not just one I caught. I ended up catching 3 and my nieghbor across the street caught 4. Total of 7 Raccoons that winter/Spring.

Check the door locking mechanism on the trap and make certain it catches when door closed. I have had raccoons beat live traps several times. The raccoon, especially a larger one, when tripping the treadle may not be full inside trap when door comes down. Then the raccoon just needs to back out and leaves door closed once clear. Some may be able to force door open even with locking mechanism engaged, especially with the traps made of lighter materials. The traps vary by brand in terms of materials and workmanship.

Put up a game camera. Depends on the trap. My traps have catches (locking mechanisms) on them and there is no way to unlatch them from inside the traps. The larger trap is really a hog trap.
DSCF00013152019 20.jpg

Back
Top Bottom