what do you do to make your layer feed go farther?

the funny farm6615

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 26, 2010
iowa
everyone seems to have something that they do to make their feed go a little farther. what do you do?

i can get cracked corn for $5.00 a bag so i throw out a coffee can every morning after i fill their feed.

my neighbor gets the expired bread from the bakery, and gives that for scratch. he gave me some for my chickens and they LOVED it!

so what do you do?

Lord, how many chickens do you have? And how big a coffee can? My chickens would never eat another layer pellet if I gave them that much corn. I throw out a handful of scratch feed every morning and every evening before the retire for the night. They will break their necks when they hear that metal can lid bang. I think it's like a drug for them.
And yes, they love bread, but I try not to give too much - no nutritional value. However, I use it for a bribe when they've free-ranged into the neighbor's yard. When I open the back door and they see bread, they come running. My neighbors laugh and say I look like the pied piper.

Last edited:
it holds about 3-4 cups, and i dont get the bread often, but he gets a truck load every other week, he has pigs also.

and i have 40 chickens.

I mix in a tiny bit of bird seed, usually do half and half or layer and seed. And any later feedings they just get layer, and sometimes I let them free-range around the yard to eat dirt, bugs and plants.

Back
Top Bottom