What do you feed your dog?

Took Halo to the vet today to get his ear checked... yeast, yuck! Now he gets drops.
tongue.png
Not a happy dog.

Anyhow, I asked my vet and he thinks RAW diets are fabulous for dogs. Said that years ago Wal-mart brand dog foods even got busted putting euthanized dogs and cats in their food!
somad.gif

So, I am seriously trying to figure out the best way for me to go about getting Halo on a RAW diet that I can afford. I am wondering...anybody here feed their dogs venison???? I can easily get a deer or two every year and would help supliment the chickens that I would have to get. My vet said it was ok, but he took a bit to answer, wondering if maybe he was trying to recall something. Obviously they would have to be free of TB. But, anyone have experience with this?

I feed my dogs raw and budget on spending less than a buck a lb. Usually way less.

Check out this yahoo group for more info http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/.

Venison is great dog food because wild herbivores generally aren't subjected to unnatural feeding of inappropriate food or given shots, wormings etc. Oh, and the price is right:)

You can pm me if you want more info as it may not be appropriate for this list ...?

Barb

I am pretty picky about what I let my pets eat, and would feed raw if i knew i could convince my mom to switch her dog over to it, and if I thought my dog would eat it.
The dogs currently eat Solid Gold Wolf King. The mastiff likes it, and my chihuahua doesn't complain, even if the kibble is big and its formulated for a much bigger dog.
We've gone through so many different brands, and it sickens me to know what goes into some of them.

Guys, I notice that none of you have seen this website (or at least mentioned it) so gonna bring it up.
This website lets you compare dog food brands, but, also tells you what you should be looking for in a dog food, and what the terms mean.

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/

Also, I want to be the second person to recomment Flint River brand...just go there and read about it
www.flintriver.com

This dog food is so amazing, that, my Corgi, and Corgies would eat their own young if it was in the bowl, ate her dog food first the other night when I had a BBQ Beef bone in her dish! I wouldnt have believed it myself had I not seen it with my own eyes.

Anyway, its awesome food, and their cat food has done miraculous things for my cats. My old grey cat at 13, had urinary problams, bowel problems, dandruff, matted hair so bad I had to shave him. He is since grooming again, not near as many problems in the waste department, and has no more matted fur! The other cats are shinier, and shed alot less!

The food is digested alot more so less waste and you feed them alot less. Which is good as it is pretty expensive. More than I paid for Iams, but there is no corn in it and I was disappointent to read Iams had corn as I thought it was a good dog food! Ingredient wise, its not any better than the Walmart stuff.

We feed Canidae All Life Stages to our Doberman and St. Bernard. It gets pretty spendy, at $36 a 40 lb bag, to feed two big dogs, but I want them to be healthy.

We feed our english mastiff and rottweiler PMI Exclusive large breed chicken/rice formula. It's comparable to purina one large breed food. Our english mastiff breeder told us about it and our dogs love it.

We feed them Kirkland Lamb and Rice (from Costco) because our shephard mix is allergic to everything else. We were feeding them Nitro Choice (or Nutro?) and it turns out my corgi is allergic to that!
roll.png
So, we can't win... but at least the Costco stuff is cheap.

My dogs eats the lamb and rice stuff or the balance diet stuff.Also My old girl Sadie is allways bringing animal parts home.I loth Deer season.Yesterday she had a cow leg.And she is teaching Mac to drag animal parts home to.She will bring home the most vile things and be eating them.

My 4 Dobes are natural fed - mostly raw- but when I feed venison I cook it. I get the venison from a meat processer, he often has hunters who bring in a deer to be butchered and then don't pick up the meat. I get the venison for the processing fee. Since I don't know how the deer meat was handled before it got to the butcher, I cook it before giving it to the Dobes. The meat is always very red, smells and looks clean. l don't think the meat processer would handle a carcass that was "off". I trust him. I also feed raw beef heart which I can order from the local supermarket by the case. I've never paid more than 99 cents/ lb for it. The Dobes love beef heart.

Back
Top Bottom